X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tateman66
    • Jan 2002

DVD Ripping -> to DVD-R or RW

Hello all.

I've been reading various forums to determine if the truth is out there! Can DVDs really be copied. Since this practice is illegal, lets just say that I'm trying to do it for accomplishments sake.

When I use the term copied, I'm referring to creating media that could be played in a stand alone player, i.e. on one's TV Set.

I read a thread started on December 2nd, 'DVD Copying', where it sounds like someone successfully ripped the movie part of the DVD then created their own menus for it. There is also a size contraint. But, since most DVDs which only have one angle and program chain, 'size shouldn't matter.'

I tried experimenting with CladMDec, but it doesn't really let you rip the entire DVD with menus and extras.

Then, I've tried using B's Clip to move an entire Video_ts directory on a DVD-RW. When I try to play the VOB files with WinDVD, some of them work flawlessly, and some give an error message Invalid Format.

I think I'm using a version of B's Clip, 3.11, that WindowsXP doesn't seem to like. Sometimes the eject button on the drive doesn't work and I have to eject it with Windows Explorer. And, sometimes when I drag files to the drive letter, the whole machine crashes and reboots itself.

Ok, sorry for digressing.
    I guess the next obvious question is will any stand alone DVD Players be able to read the R or RW Dvds?

This is turning into an EPIC. I better stop or no one will read this.

Someone give me some ideas.
    Thanks,
    Steven Tate
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I guess the next obvious question is will any stand alone DVD Players be able to read the R or RW Dvds?"

This site will provide you with a wealth of make/model specific information about the capabilities of standalone DVD players (Don't let the site name mislead you - it IS laden with DVD info):

Video forums, video software downloads, guides, blu-ray players and media.

Comment

• TedRogers
      • Dec 2001

from what i can gather any new standalone player will play dvdrs if they have been burned correctly - the list of compatible drives is not that informative.

Regards

Comment

• MadMatty
        • May 2002

Well a lot of new stand alone players are compatable but some are DVD-R (RW) and some are DVD+R (RW) just to make life more interesting. My brother has a STAND ALONE DVD recorder for instance which is fairly new. It will PLAY DVD-R /-RW /+RW but will only record to +RW. This I know dont help you much but at least youo know some more pitfalls!!!

Comment

• minibanana.com
          • Oct 2002

Rip DVD's

If you want to backup DVD's on your hard drive, you can use smartripper. However it is illegal for use in the United States so don't use it!

Comment

• DVDIdiot
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Oct 2002

The latest news, guides and downloads for digital video (DVD, Blu-ray, DivX, Xvid ...), HD, 3D and gaming

above has a guide to make dvd to dvdr with original menu and extras
            DVD Step-by-Step Guides
            http://dvdplanet.fateback.com

Comment

Working...