Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Digitalbooty
    • Jan 2002

Convert VCD to DVD (3VCDs to 1 DVD)

I have a movie, im sure you can all guess which one, which comes on 3 VCDs.

I obviously wont get any better quality, but want it on DVD purely for ease of use, and no hassle of Disc swapping.

Anyone know of a tutorial on the best way to make it,
    and also a list of Software I will need (I have a lot of ripping, conversion and authoring tools so i should be covered)

Im adept at ripping DVD to VCD, ut have no clue on doing it the other way round.

My idea is merge the 3 Mpeg files into 1 and import into an authoring package that will support the MPEG and then author and create an image and then burn with my DVD burning software.

So is there a process or recommended tools?

Cheers in advance.

Digitalbooty
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

The first thing you'll have to do is convert the video into DVD definition parameters (definitely MPEG2 and possibly specific dimensions). Framerate will have to be 23.976, 24.0, 25.0, or 29.97. If you're coyly referring to the "Lord of the Rings" video, I wish you the best of luck regarding the resultant quality, upon further compression - plus changing the framerate will put audio and video out of synchronization.

The sound will likewise have to be converted to uncompressed 48,000Khz format.

Comment

• Digitalbooty
      • Jan 2002

Did IT

I have done it! Hurrah

I used MYDVD, pulled the .dat files off the vcds
      Merged them with TMPENC MPEG tools
      Created a new MPEG1 Project in MyDVD
      Made a menu with the them music on and a play button and a button to play the trailer
      Dragged the Movie to the Play movie button and Trailer to the Play Trailer button.
      Added chapter points to the main movie and created dvd

It took 2 hours to convert the video but came out exactly the same quality as the VCD with no audio synch problems.

I was surprised, and i basically just guessed at the method too!!!

Practiced the Menu by creating a mini DVD on a CDr and Mastered the whole thing to a DVD-RW.

Works great.

Comment

• brandonbooth
        • Jan 2002

Very nice! I'm gonna have to try that out ***sets desktop to 1024x768 to use MyDVD*** - you didn't lose any quality? Can you list everything one would need to know for doing this process? I only have DVD-Rs, no RWs, so I don't want to risk anytyhing.

Comment

• Digitalbooty
          • Jan 2002

OK here goes:

U will need

TMPGENC - MPeg Tool
          MYDVD
          VOB Instant CD/DVD

MYDVD and VOB come wit the A03 in the UK.

I copied the dat files from the VCD, renamed them FILE1.MPG , FILE2.MPG and FILE3.MPG

Opened TMPGENC, and in MPEG tools did a Merge by adding the 3 files. and output to FULLMOVIE.MPG

Created a new MPEG 1 Project in MYDVD
          Basic backgorund and button
          dragged the Movie file onto the button and then added chapter points.

then created DVD files not Created dvd, just the files.

The open VOB and create new UDF Data disk (Last option in the wizard)
          Choose the disk type and ur writer, and then give the disk a label, and choose UDF 1.02 (1.5 if u want it PS2 Compatible)
          then drag your AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders into the compilation and burn!

Thats just about it.

Good luck

Comment

• brandonbooth
            • Jan 2002

Ok, thanks a lot! I too have that "3 disk VCD" and after finding out my new DVD player doesn't play VCDs (Phillips, came with a 6 speaker surround system), I want to burn this to DVD and a few other new releases. - Any idea where I can get that VOB program? - I have a Pioneer DVR-A03 (in the US), it came with Prassi PrimoDVD, Cyberlink PowerDVD 3.0, and Sonic Solutions MyDVD, I'm guessing this is the original package deal because it came with the 1.55 firmware. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Digitalbooty
              • Jan 2002

I think u could use any Burning software for the final stage, as long as its UDF 1.02 or 1.5 format, just create a new compilation and drag across the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders into it and burn.

NOTE: some players ive heard are fussy, SONY in particular and require the the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders should be in uppercase, i think MYDVD does this automatically, but make sure.

U wont need more than 4gb, but if you create a movie that large dont forget you will need to use NTFS file system.

Once again good luck, its quite straight forward, even I could do it!!!

Comment

• brandonbooth
                • Jan 2002

How did you add the movie file? I made the menu and added a couple buttons, but how do you actually add the movie to link off of the button?

Comment

• brandonbooth
                  • Jan 2002

Shite! I think I jusy found out the rip of LOTR is in PAL, can I still make it a region 1 DVD if It's PAL video? Or does it make it Region 0 or something.

Comment

• Digitalbooty
                    • Jan 2002

1. Adding the VIdeo.

Click the video button at bottom right of the project window
                    it will then display your wavs etc.

Drag from an Explorer window the file you want into the Film and Audio window, it will appear in that window.

Now click into MENU mode
                    Drag the FIlm from the video window onto the button.
                    And thats it.

2. If you created the project at NTSC, it will convert the video
                    to NTSC format (Not sure how the Audio Sync will be)
                    ANd all discs are Written as Region Zero by MYDVD.

Comment

• brandonbooth
                      • Jan 2002

Should the files come out as M2V or VOB? What is the last step you did after adding the video to the button links (I got that far, and chose Build>>DVD files) - could you explain the last part of the process, I really appreciate all your help! Also, should Region 0 play in most DVD standalone players?

Comment

• Digitalbooty
                        • Jan 2002

Once you have merged the VDS files into 1 MPEG file, improt it into MYDVD, and drag onto the button, MYDVD will re-enode the Vidoe and create a set of VOB files and a file structure AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS

To test run POwer DVD or WINDVD and select the VIDEO_TS folder and it should play just as your dvd will.

Theres no need to convert to any other fomray it will do it all for you.once it has created the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder when you choose create DVD files, you simplt drag them into a DVD compilation using your burning software. Making sure it is either a UDF 1.02 or a 1.5 folder.

It sounds simple, and actually it is, although MYDVD is basic it does all the file conversion for you and outputs to VOBs in the recoginsed DVD fomat.

Glad all this onfo is helping you, and i understand hoew cautious u wanna be and not waste any disc, i recommend you bite the bullet and buy a DVD-RW to practice on, Thats what I did and although it waws a little more expensive, it must have saved me loads on wasted DVD-Rs

Hope u can take the final step and burn your Disc with confidence.

Let mnw know how u get on.

)

DB

Comment

• brandonbooth
                          • Jan 2002

Well I don't think I'll be able to get any DVD-Rs or RWs until Tuesday, unless I go to a retail store and waste about $15 on a disc. So far so good, I'm converting Not Another Teen Movie to MPEG2 rigtht now using TMPGEnc (too bad it takes a little over 6 hours). I think I should have enough time to figure it all out before I screw up. Thanks for all the tips man!

Comment

• brandonbooth
                            • Jan 2002

Hmmm, now MyDVD keeps crashing on me, so I'm using Ulead DVD MovieFactory, so far so good. I've set it all up, now I just need to burn, I'm going to pick up 1 or 2 DVD-Rs tomorrow (TDK, $8 each) and test it out.

Comment

Working...