X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BertL
    • Jan 2003

Creating DVD-like CD's

May-day, may-day, I need help!!!

I am trying to create DVD-like CD's (containing parts of a movie or music clips) to be played in my DVD player. However so far WITHOUT any success.

My way of working was like this:
    1) extract cells from a VOB-file using vSplit v0.8f (since this VOB file starts somewhere in the middle of a cell)
    2) join several cells to one new VOB file with vSplit v0.8f
    3) demux audio, video and subtitles from VOB file with VobEdit v0.6
    4) "author new DVD" with IFOedit v0.95 (merging the .m2v, .ac3, and .sup files). As a result VIDEO_TS.* and VTS_01_?.* files are created.
    5) create a DVD image and write this image to CD-RW using ImgTool_1.00.4. Nero v5.5.10.15 is installed for the burning of the CD-RW in a CD-R burner.

The result should be a DVD like CD that can be played in a living room DVD player. However my player (Philips DVD733, that eats virtually everything) only recognizes it as a DATA disc and shows the directory structure. Next I can select the VOB file in the VIDEO_TS folder and play it, however without the possibility of selecting subtitles, FF or FR. The funny thing is that the DVD-ROM player does recognise the disc as a DVD, does start PowerDVD and starts playing the DVD (without menu).

I also tried this approach for a VOB containing a music clip (starting at step 4 by creating an new ifo file), also without success.

Can somebody tell:
    - did I make a mistake
    - are my expectations too high
    - do I need a DVD-writer to create a DVD-like CD
    - or is my Philips player to blame?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

There are virtually NO standalone DVD players that will recognize DVD-format information on a CD - as they typically determine media type first and then look for acceptable formats for that media type (CD-Rs may be acceptable for data, .WAV audio, .MP3 audio, VideoCD, SuperVideoCD, CD=I karaoke)...

Comment

Working...