X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Areku
    • Dec 2001

DVD-R/W vs DVD+R/W

Hi there,

Almost every1 out there has the Pioneer A03 DVD-R/W so I assume it's the most extended unit right now. I know it makes perfect copies of PS2 games and sometimes ripping DVD movies playable on SOME set-top DVD players...

BUT

After reading about the DVD+R/W format, and finding the Philips DVD+RW unit, I wonder:

Does any1 in here have experience with the DVD+R/W format??
    It offers such compatibility and the unit itself is supposed to cost the same as the DVD-R/W one...

Also, will PS2's read DVD+R/W discs?

Thanks!
  • vic102482
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

well.....

your best bet is the pioneer, first of all there is no such thing as a dvd+r it hasnt come out yet, so you are only l;eft with the rewritable, and who wants to pay 20 bucks per cd, dvd+rw SHOULD be compatible with 80-85% of dvd players released after 98' but this is PROBABLY not the case. So your best bet is the poineer, plus my man, iif u know that it does all that already then why wonder about something else, if it copys ps2 games get it, ive seen that drive for 399 compared to the HP100i 599 disk drive and everybody will have poineer by the time hp drops so its good to go, and as far as compatibility dvd-rs are compatible with about 95% of dvd players its the way that they are burned that is the problem

Comment

• meak
      • Jan 2002

and…

Seems like DVD+RW is more computer data type of application and what interesting, DVD FORUM an international association of hardware manufacturers, software firms and other users of Digital Versatile Discs (guys who own DVD logo) didn’t approved DVD+RW as dvd standard… read more about it at www.dvdforum.com

Comment

• Areku
        • Dec 2001

My next question is, then:

Why Pioneer is alone behind DVD-RW?

Why Plextor, Sony, Philips and HP go for the DVD+RW?

I just don't wanna recall the total collapse of the Laser Video format that made Pioneer go down and down in hell...

I'd just pick the Pioneer because of it becoming cheaper and cheaper... you just copy 10 PS2 games or 20 movies and you've sorted it out!

Comment

• vic102482
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Jan 2002

well look at it this way

If you can copy ps2 and playstation games with the dvd -rw then its good to go it is compatable with dvd players we know this already and it can copy ps2 games so then it woks.

+rw the only diffrence is that it is incompatable that is it the manufacturers want people to buy thier specific drives and make money its not like one is more better than the other or anything like that. +rw dosent hold anymore space or do this or that accually an unformatted dvd disk can be made into +rw or - rw

just a lil knowlegde

Comment

• omarh
            • Nov 2001

One major reason I think DVD-RW is better right now, is that the pioneer supports DVD-R whichi you can get for around $4.00 or so per disk. The DVD+RW drives don't support DVD-R and DVD+R isn't even out, so with those drives you're stuck with buying $12 per disc, even if you don't want to be able to erase it later.

Frankly, i don't go through the trouble of authoring a dvd video just to erase it later...its a pain to author videos using DVDit and the other crappy tools that are available to us peons

Comment

• magnoliafan
              • Jan 2002

I was researching this recently and I came across an excellent chart that shows what DVD players can use what kind of DVD media (DVD-R/RW vs DVD+RW). It is at http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdlist/listall.html

Interesting that my older RCA 5220P, which won't even play CD-R's, would play a DVD+RW DVD I created with DVDit, but my Apex AD-600A would not because of the type of media. But more than that, it's frustrating since I can't burn one DVD to play on both players.

I still never figured out if DVDR is the same as DVD-R. Too many acronyms! DVDR, DVDRW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+RW...

Comment

Working...