X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Adding Files Other Than Audio and Video to a DVD

I`m preparing a DVD as a classroom teaching aid, consisting of short documentary videos with commentary and background music on the various menus. I want to also include some longer commentary and wonder if there is a way to include files on a DVD other than audio and video files. For example, could I include a folder on the DVD that would have PDF or DOC or HTM files in it? I think there will be issues with stand alone players, but I wonder if this is possible for PC playback? Any advice appreciated.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"For example, could I include a folder on the DVD that would have PDF or DOC or HTM files in it?"

Yes you can, but there are two important caveats:

1) These additional folders and/or files CANNOT be placed in either the "VIDEO_TS" or "AUDIO_TS" folders

2) When you are preparing to burn your DVD, these additional folders and/or files must be the LAST things you place in the DVD structure

"I think there will be issues with stand alone players, but I wonder if this is possible for PC playback?"

It shouldn't present any issues for either standalone players or PCs. You have but to look at the myriad commercial movie DVDs, that have additional folders of PC-only files, that play without problems on standalones as well as PCs...

Comment

• megamachine
      Video Fiddler
      • Mar 2003

Great, setarip, this is helpful. When you say that these extra items should be the last to add to the DVD structure before burning, does that mean produce them as I would for PC use and then drag them to Nero after the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, or do they require further preparation in an authoring program? Another couple of questions while on the topic. Are there special names to give these extra folders so they can be read properly, i.e. a standard of some sort like VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS? And, is there someplace I can read up a bit on producing PC-only content for my DVD? Thanks and best wishes.
      Last edited by megamachine; 29 Jul 2003, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"does that mean produce them as I would for PC use and then drag them to Nero after the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders"

Yes...

"Are there special names to give these extra folders so they can be read properly?"

No... (They'll be invisible to a standalone DVD player - and a PC will see them as "just some more folders" - no different than folders and files on a hard drive)

"is there someplace I can read up a bit on producing PC-only content for my DVD?"

Again, it would be no different than producing content for writing to your hard drive.

"Thanks and best wishes."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

Thanks setarip, you`re a gem!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip, you`re a gem!"

Would that the rest of the world would accept that as fact ;>}

Comment

• starionx
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by setarip
              Would that the rest of the world would accept that as fact ;>}
              Get to 10,000 posts, then we'll talk.

Comment

• XBucklawX
                • Mar 2003

What about a dvd-r that contains MP3's ?
                Would that be possible?
                I have a lot of full albums that i would like to store on a dvd-r, but am not sure how to do it !
                My DVD player plays mp3's, so i want to just put the dvd-r in and be able to select the mp3's!
                thanks

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

To XBucklawX

Although it's certainly no problem to burn .MP3s to a DVD, your ability to play it back on your standalone DVD player depends upon the capabilities of the player.

The fact that your standalone DVD player can play .MP3s burned on a CD is NO assurance that it can play .MP3s burned on a DVD.

If you aren't able to find sufficient information by doing a Googlesearch for "MP3 on DVD", I'd suggest that you simply experiment by burning some .MP3s to a REWRITEABLE DVD...

Comment

• starionx
                    • Jul 2003

And, if all else fails, you can certainly play your MP3's on DVD in a PC DVD-ROM player.

Comment

• me2dvd
                      • Aug 2003

With simple video editing SW you can make a slideshow out of pictures stored on your PC into a movie that you can burn to DVD with sound (spoken / music) which can complete your instruction manual as well.

So start taking screenshots (please use a low resolution, since your visible area is only 680x480, or large fonts, so the pics don't become unreadable) and fire away. You can time your transitions nicely and add music and spoken word. The render it into a movie et voila.....

NeroVision Express has an option like this I believe, and so do ULEAD, Dazzle MovieStar, Pinnacle Studio, etc....

Good luck

Comment

Working...