X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • campaigner
    • Sep 2003

Software confusion (newbie alert)

I have a shiny new Panny E-50.

So far I've managed to edit a concert, to remove ad breaks, using TMPGenc DVD Author. I added a menu also then burned the lot and have a working DVD. Excellent quality (to these untrained eyes and ears).

Now, the only things I don't like about TMPGenc DVD Author are the relatively narrow choice of options for menu creation, and that it's not possible to edit down to frame level. Maybe the developers will add further menu creation options but for now the hunt is on for an alternative application. It could be my lack of knowledge that makes me regard the menu options as lacking, but I couldn't find a way to produce the simple menu I have in mind...

So far I've not found anything that allows more freedom with menus and also retains AC3 sound. Admittedly I've become very confused with all the different software solutions having downloaded and tried several over the weekend

DVDLab would appear to allow me to keep audio in AC3 format - but doesn't allow 'proper' editing (just trimming of the end of the clip).

Ulead Video Studio has reasonable editing options but not compatible with AC3.

Pinnacle Studio 8 - not sure about this one as it crashed my system whenever I tried to load in the mpeg 'clip' I'd made using TMPGenc (another mpeg clip loaded fine so I don't know what the problem was with the concert 'clip').

I could be totally wrong about anything and everything above!
    I don't want to do anything too ambitious - just simple editing, keeping AC3 and decent menu creation.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? If you do, what other conversion steps would be required to import my clips into the app? (bearing in mind I'll more than likely be recording on DVD-RAM). Is there some way to use another app. for menu creation only in conjunction with TMPGenc DVD Author? How would that flow?

Thanks for any advice
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"the only things I don't like about TMPGenc DVD Author are the relatively narrow choice of options for menu creation"

Which version of TMPGEnc DVD Author are you using?

"it's not possible to edit down to frame level"

As with any good video editing function, you can only edit at keyframes (full frames)...

Comment

• campaigner
      • Sep 2003

Hi setarip and thanks for replying.

Which version of TMPGEnc DVD Author are you using?
      A trial of version 1.5.13.34. I knowthere are quite a few 'templates' for menu creation but nothing suited. I might have another play at the weekend - a fresh look may help me see opportunities I've missed.

As with any good video editing function, you can only edit at keyframes (full frames)...
      I'm new to all this but it seemed to me that editing in (say) Ulead Video Studio was more accurate - with TDA there was a very short glimpse of material I'd have preferred to edit out.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

TMPGEnc DVD Author

not heard it called TDA - nice one, lot easier
        I downloaded the trial a few days back and am so far delighted with it - shall definitely buy. Big selling point - you can edit and create all the way to an .iso and then try burning questionable media - a lot quicker than going through a long wait with Pinnacle each time.
        Editing - I'm quite impressed by the timeline editing. I've only edited off the starting gap on video recordings so far but I'm impressed.
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...