X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reiss
    • Jul 2003

nero vision making avi's huge

hi
    having just bought a dvd burner, i am now entering the complex world of dvd creation from various formats.
    i recently tried adding a 45 min avi file within Nero Vision in an attempt to convert it to DVD. the file added ok but took up 5.3gb of disc space! completely useless for my 4.7gig disc.
    I tried other avi files all well within the 120 min boundry, all imported to Nero Vision ok, though some took up way to much space whilst other did not.
    I have allot of mpg/avi convertion programs and was wondering what needed doing to these files to make them fit.

thanks
    P4 3ghz Prescott
    1gb Kingston hyper x
    Radion 9800pro
    200gb sata
    Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05
  • Jeff Mirage
    • Apr 2003

Hi had the same problem with the "Nero Vision" switched to TMPGEnc DVD Author and woops no problems at all..

Exept well the quality got a hell of alot bader...

Comment

• rsquirell
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Feb 2003

Before you go to DVD Author you need to convert that AVI to MPEG2...and TMPGenc Plus will do that handily.

Comment

• Reiss
        • Jul 2003

thanks
        i have TMPGEnc DVD Author , but it wont take an avi file.
        i did however convert a movie from avi to mpg, took my powerfull computer nearly 20 hours to convert video & audio stream!! only to find that when i played back the newly created file, the audio stream was garbled.
        I was hoping that i could fix the issue with Nero Vision. and use TMPGEnc DVD Author for Mpg files
        nothing is ever simple
        P4 3ghz Prescott
        1gb Kingston hyper x
        Radion 9800pro
        200gb sata
        Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05

Comment

• robert4871
          • Dec 2003

i've tried for along time to download avi files from my folder to my dvd without sucess. When I try to put my avi files into nero it wont accept them and i've tried a few programes to change them to vob files also without success has anybody got any ideas or any programe that can help me? I am a novice.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To Reiss

"i did however convert a movie from avi to mpg, took my powerfull computer nearly 20 hours to convert video & audio stream!! only to find that when i played back the newly created file, the audio stream was garbled."

What specific software and procedures did you use?

==============================================

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
            (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• robert4871
              • Dec 2003

avi to dvd format

Hi I 've treid usingTMPGEnc but it didn't workas my files would not be accepted by the video source menu on the wizard. The trial period I had has expired and I don't want to buy something that I can't use. Can you help and tell me if its worth buying? Robert 4871

Comment

• rsquirell
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Feb 2003

The only thing you lose past the trial period of TMPGenc is the MPEG2 feature. Your AVI must be non-standard (ie.VBR). Try a 30 day trial of ULead Video Studio7. If it accepts the AVI it'll convert it to MPEG2, prep and burn the DVD. If it doesn't accept the AVI you can try to change it by making a direct stream copy with VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod.

Comment

• robert4871
                  • Dec 2003

I've downloade the 30 free version of UNlead Video Studio 7 but when I try to open the programe a box comes up saying that it wont play as my resolution on my monitor is not big enough. The monitor I've got is a Sony 19' FD Triniton CRT with a resoluion of1280by1024 @ 91HZ. Can you help? Robert4871

Comment

• robert4871
                    • Dec 2003

I've sorted out the problem with the resolution. I've managed to play the avi files on uvs7 but could you tell me how to change the format to mpeg2? Robert4871

Comment

• rsquirell
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Feb 2003

When it opens up select the DVD MPEG2 template...go to storyboard tab...click the open folder icon and use the explorer-like tool to locate and load your .avi...drag into first storyboard window and go to finish tab.

Comment

• Reiss
                        • Jul 2003

well
                        thanks for the education. seems as im making my friends personalised dvd's for christmas,, all this info is gonna come in very handy
                        happy holidays to you all!
                        P4 3ghz Prescott
                        1gb Kingston hyper x
                        Radion 9800pro
                        200gb sata
                        Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05

Comment

• rsquirell
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Feb 2003

and to you...our pleasure.

Comment

• Reiss
                            • Jul 2003

I just found something very handy, not sure of results yet.
                            in nero vision express 2 you can change video recording from high quality, stardard play up to superlong play.
                            now i can get those huge avi files on a 4.3gb disc.
                            not burned & tested results yet. will post as soon as.

thanks again guys & a very merry Christmas.
                            P4 3ghz Prescott
                            1gb Kingston hyper x
                            Radion 9800pro
                            200gb sata
                            Win XP Pro SP2 MCE'05

Comment

• robert4871
                              • Dec 2003

Hi I've transfered AVI files onto a DVD through Nero Vision Express 2 bu when I come to play it on my ordinary DVD it will not play. It loads OK but when I come to pess play it wont play. Can you give any ideas what to do? Robert4871

Comment

Working...