X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ureich
    • Jan 2004

VHS to DVD

Hello together,
    first of all I want to say hi to you because this is my first post.

Now, I have a small (?) problem.
    I want to transfer my old VHS videos to DVD using my PC - and I already managed to find out how to get the AV stream to my computer. Unfortunately I am only able to record the videos in mpeg1/2 with my current software (Power Director Pro) resulting in partly awful videos (especially when they are b/w).

So my question is: Is there a way to record my VHS videos directly into DVD format (i guess it should be VOB then ??). If yes, which software should I use?

Thanks for reading.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

You can't go directly into VOB's..but the Dazzle DVC-150 and Canopus external devices do capture in MPEG2 (as do several high-end internal cards...some with their own MPEG2 engines.) The solution usually costs at least $200...but the quality is very noticeable.

Comment

• ureich
      • Jan 2004

Ok thanks for your quick answer - though i wished it was
      another one. I guess I have to save for a hardware solution then.

Oh btw. I just realized I can record mpeg2 with a bit rate of 4000 kbps (blame the newbie...). Do you think I could get reasonable results with a high bitrate mpeg2 and authoring it to DVD ?

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Actually I can record a MPEG2 with a bit-rate as high as 8000kbps without pixcellation with the DVC-150 through the USB2 port using the DVXCEL Test Utility ...looks as good as the original VHS tape. With your device...I don't know. You can get reasonable DVD quality with bitrates around 2400kbps and a resolution as low as 352X480...but the higher the better.
        Last edited by rsquirell; 4 Jan 2004, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

i've been doing alot of test capturing lately. from my tests if you up the resolution to full D1, any video flaws might actually get worse. i've found, for vhs captures, that 1/2 D1 (352x480) gives excellent results. using vbr i use 2000k min. 3000k average and 4000k max. if you use cbr i would stay in the 3000k-4000k range. if I capture at full D1 i double the average and max bitrate. check here for some excellent video capture articles. www.lordsmurf.com

Comment

• ureich
            • Jan 2004

Thanks again, especially for the link. I hope also the numbers will be of some help (numbers cause happiness *lol* )
            I have been searching g**gle for hours to find such a guide or at least a WHY-DOES-IT-NOT-WORK - which is no pleasure with an analog modem - but this is not the place for whining

When I am through with it I will certainly post my newly acquired knowledge

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ureich
              Thanks again, especially for the link. I hope also the numbers will be of some help (numbers cause happiness *lol* )
              I have been searching g**gle for hours to find such a guide or at least a WHY-DOES-IT-NOT-WORK - which is no pleasure with an analog modem - but this is not the place for whining

When I am through with it I will certainly post my newly acquired knowledge
              you're welcome. please do post, we all learn something from each other

Comment

Working...