Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eloroncedark
    • Feb 2004

No sound!

I get picture but no sound when I try to create DVD movies.

My setup:

* SVCD och divx movies as source

* Latest Nero (6.3.0.3?)/Nerovision Express2 or Pinnacle Studio 8.10 to create the DVD (I’ve tried both)

* Plextor PX-708A DVD burner, latest firmware, (two different ones on two different computers both running Windows XP Professional. One of the computers was a clean install reformatting the dard drive)

* Fujifilm DVD+RW 4x, Verbatim 4x DVD+RW 4x, HP DVD+R as media

* Philips DVD 737 player, latest firmware

* also tried on XBOX DVD player, first series

I’ve tried both to burn directly to the media or to first burn to the hard drive and then to transfer to DVD-movie using Nero Express.

I’ve tried to convert two SVCD (MPEG2?) movies and two divx movies into DVD-format.

All four SVCD or divx movies have both picture and sound on the two PCs.

All DVD movies, stored on the hard drive, have picture and sound on the two PCs.

All DVD movies, burnt on media, have picture and sound on the two PCs.

==> Only 1 of the 4 movies (one of the divx source ones), burnt on media, have sound on my two DVD players!!! The other 3 are silent.

Re-burning one of the “silent” movies onto the very same disc as the working one, I get the same result: It plays on the PCs but not on the players!

So this seems like magic. How come only one of the movies yields a result that can be played on my player? All can be played on my PCs.
  • eloroncedark
    • Feb 2004

I might add the following about the source files:

The only working ("non silent" on my players) file has sound "2 channels, Lame MP3". But one of the "silent" files also has this sound.

Other "silent" files have "2 channels, MPEG-1 layer 2"

Comment

• englishd59
      • Apr 2004

Did you every fix your sound problem...I purchased the same Plextor DVD Writer and cannot hear sound when I try to create a DVD.

Comment

• Musash
        • Apr 2004

Try GSpot, you'll find it here:
        GSpot
        This shows all about codecs.
        But even if you have all codecs installed Xvid .avi files will cause a problem. The .avi might be played back with sound on your PC, but a conversion to an other Video/Audio format such as VCD, SVCD or DVD will not work with sound. I searched the whole day for an answer. But did not find any. I just found out that the audio stream might be corrupt, in my opinion.
        Because this is what GSpot promts for Audio:
        0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
        and that means it is MP3, and easily supported by codecs such as:
        --> {Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced)}
        --> {LAME MP3 Codec v0.9.0 - 3.96 (stable)}
        But all types of conversion Software like Nero, Ulead, VirtualDub, TMPGEnc can't decompress Audio.
        If anybody has a solution for that, please prompt it. HELP
        Cheers and get rich, or die trying

Comment

• canario
          • May 2004

Open the XVid file in VirtualDub. Convert it to Divx and recompress the audio. Have no idea if this will work, but you could try.

Comment

• karyuudo
            • May 2004

I had the same problem before, and I found a solution, though it might not work for you. It's pretty simple actually... In the main screen, there is an 'options' menu. Click it and select 'environmental settings'. This will open a new menu. Select the 'VFAPI plug in' tab in that menu, right click the 'direct show' value in the chart, and raise its priority.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Working...