Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makk_dogg44
    • Apr 2004

avi to DVD

How do i put an avi file on a DVD? Does it have to be converted first, or something?
  • makk_dogg44
    • Apr 2004

please forgive this post!

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
      (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• MrJingles
        • Sep 2003

I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at the process for converting a movie file from avi format to DVD format.

Sometimes a simple process will work for the conversion (Nero Vision Express is one example) but the main issue that I had was the audio and video out of sync on the final DVD.

After some help from setarip (identifying various tools and methods) I have finally been able to identify a process that is about 95% successful and produces an excellent quality DVD.

I have just produced this guide and you can view it on my website here.

Let me know how you get on!

Comment

• zjmedia
          • May 2004

Hi,
          Maybe you can try another software named WinAVI Video Converter http://www.winavi.com/video-converter.htm . It is is a complete solution for video file converting and burning. It can convert avi to dvd in 60 minutes with stunning video quality. In fact, it is one of the most wonderful software that I have tried.
          Good luck
          Lily

Comment

• reboot
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2004

Nice guide MrJingles (btw, who are you at videohelp.com?).
            I would suggest for beginners, to NOT try Besweet, nor add any unnecessary steps to the process.
            Yes, there are free tools that will help, and eventually get the job done. There are also pay software that can do a better/easier job, and/or screw it up royally. NeroVision Express falls in the latter category, and will NEVER get audio sync. It's ok for authoring, but not conversion/encoding.
            In order to keep it simple, I do not recommend demuxing anything. Deal with one file, one at a time, in or out of any software you plan to use.
            Yes, it seems that 90% use TMPGEnc, however, Mainconcept is better/easier to use, with slightly different results than tmpgenc. Some like it, some don't.
            Encode your video in tmpgenc, producing a muxed mpeg, not separate streams, and author it in TMPGEnc DVD Author. Burn in Nero.
            Once you've mastered those three basic steps/apps, then move on to REAL encoding/authoring software. There's still nothing that beats Nero, except maybe VCDEasy for beginners.
            My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• makk_dogg44
              • Apr 2004

i tried conversion with TMPGEnc & every file i tried to open had an error that said, "it wasn't supported"!

i downloaded Winnavi, and it helped me with my conversion problems; but now i can't figure out how to burn my DVD.

it is frustrating the hell out of me! help, PLEASE!!!

Comment

• reboot
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2004

You need to understand the process. You can't just import any avi into any program and get a finished dvd.
                If it were that simple, there wouldn't be places like this on the net.
                First. DVD is an mpeg that has been authored to create the .vob files etc.
                Second. Avi is just a container for a video/audio stream that may be encoded in any number of different ways.
                Third. Read some guides before screaming "I'm frustrated, help!"

Now that's out of the way,, here's a VERY short tutorial.
                Get GSpot. Open your avi in gspot and find out WHAT codecs you need.
                Get codecs. I like the Kristal codec pack, others are available. Download and install the ones you found that you needed in gspot.
                Open TMPGEnc, run the wizard.
                Open TMPGEnc DVD Author, import the mpeg made by tmpgenc.
                Make chapters, menus as you like.
                When done, open the built in burning tool, and burn.
                If you want a slightly longer way, open Nero, select DVD Movie from the options, browse, then drag and drop the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders from right to left. Burn.

Oh, and by the way, if I haven't mentioned it yet, READ SOME GUIDES!!!

Comment

• makk_dogg44
                  • Apr 2004

rather than roast me, or whatever it is you call yourself doin', you could just point me in the right direction of these "GUIDE'S" you speak of. when i say "help", that's all i'm askin'; is for someone to point me in the right direction. you're doin' all this talkin' about guides, yet you didn't point me in the direction of them.

i do appreciate the info that you did give, though!

Comment

• reboot
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2004

Ok, not trying to roast you, but a little searching goes a long way.
                    HERE is probably the most comprehensive set of video conversion/authoring/burning guides on the internet: http://www.videohelp.com/guides

Comment

• makk_dogg44
                      • Apr 2004

g spot & the proper codecs done the trick! i downloaded the proper codecs; now i'm having no trouble at all. thanx, alot for the info.

i still haven't figured out how to burn with Winavi, but now that i have the proper codecs; TMPGEnc Plus & Author is all need. thanx again, reboot!

one thing though, for those who might be having the same problems i had, be sure that before you encode your files in TMPGEnc Plus, you must change the GOP structure, in the settings, from 0 to 1. i 'm sure most are already aware of this; i'm just tryin' to save those newbies an hour or so getting started. i didn't know that i had to do that, and i had to start over from the beginning. just tryin' to help!

thanx again, reboot!!!

Comment

• May 2004

i've noticed that canopus procoder converts my avi's much much faster then tmpgenc

btw i tried the dvd srhink thingy, but it just forgot to do the audio or something oO i dunno i'm noob at this
                        the thing i wanted is to fit 8 anime eps on one dvd, wich is possible (i have some with 8 eps of 25 minutes on each dvd) but tmpgenc dvd author didn't feel like making a too big enough dvd file (it gave up at 60%) so i was stuck to do it in parts, then used dvd shrink but it also seemed like i couldn't put them on one dvd then, so it makes me wonder about it's usefullness in my situation

Comment

• makk_dogg44
                          • Apr 2004

if i am having problems with the resolutions, do i need to download another file; or is there a way that i can fix the one i already have?

Comment

• reboot
                            Digital Video Expert
                            Digital Video Expert
                            • Apr 2004

What problems? What is the source resolution, what are you trying to get out? What format are you converting/encoding to? What tools are you using? Some specifics might help...

Comment

Working...