X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vidguy
    • Aug 2004

Authored on PC-Burned on Mac-Plays on Mac-not on PC

Hi all-

I have lurked here for a long time... Now I jump in!

We author using Pinnacle on the PC, Move the files across the network to the Mac G4, and burn using Toast. Generally we get pretty good compatibilty on MAC's PC's and Standalones.. BUT....

In SOME cases..
    A DVD created in this fashion plays on the MAC properly, i.e; Starts, Show menus and plays movie, etc..

The DVDs also play properly in standalone players that we tried it in.

Yet when we insert it in various PC's running XP or 98, Windows Media Player opens and tries to play something...
    It almost acts like a DATA DVD?
    Our Interactual player wont play it neither will Power DVD.

We believe it has something to do with the Macintosh "Resource Forks" on the Structure files as they move across the network.

We have tried 2 kinds of Media.
    Burner is a Pioneer A05...

Anybody have any advice or suggstions? Any dialogue on this? Any help?

How many people here have experience on MACS also? We use them somewhat here..

Thanks!
    James
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

It may simply be a matter of media format incompatibility - You may have burned a DVD+R while you're trying to play it on a player that only recognizes DVD-R (or vice-versa)...

Comment

• vidguy
      • Aug 2004

Good point.

Sometimes we get some odd last minutes purchases for DVD's we have to duplicate to. As we can duplicate to +r on our duplicator. And we usually do for better compatibilty going forward ..... But we always use the same -r masters (or so I think)

Since we "believe" (think) that the Pioneer A05 burner we have, with the firmware thats on it, only burns to -r's so I dont think we could have done that..
      Is there anyway to read a DVD and have seomthing report what it is?

-r or +r, etc?

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...