Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fallout
    • Jul 2003

TMPG Encoding Question

I read somewhere on this forum that sometimes it can be the resolution you encode a video file which makes it out of sync. I was wondering if you set the resolution lower when encoding an avi file to mpeg-2 and then putting it onto a dvd will the quality of the video be worser on a tv than if it was encoded with a higher resolution?
  • ignignot
    • Mar 2004

resolution shouldn't really have anything to do with video/audio sync, this is more often a framerate related problem. The only time I can think of that resolution could affect sync is if you're using an illegal one and your DVD player doesn't like it.

Allowed DVD resolutions are: 352x240/288, 352x480/576, 704x480/576, 720x480/576 (NTSC/PAL)

And yes, quality will almost definately be reduced by lowering resolution. When working with a medium such as DVD which allows a high bitrate, you want to set the resolution as close to the source resolution as possible (you won't gain quality by increasing res of output to higher than that of the source however.)
    Last edited by ignignot; 10 Sep 2004, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Working...