X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpcolin
    • Dec 2003

DV to DVD capture card with hardware encoder

Hi,

I Did capture a couple time a DV home movie(AVI) on my computerand then convert to Mpeg 2 before authoring it and burning it on DVD.
    But since I don't have a big machine, converting to MPEG 2 take so much time, so I would like to know some good card to encode it faster.
    I only have a firewire card witch is just good to capture the movie in avi to the HDD.
    any recomendations? Not to costly please

greetz
  • Floppy

You need to look at a card that suppport Real-time Hardware MPEG-I/MPEG-II, thus not using your system resources to do the encoding...

Look at Leadtek capture cards...

I have the leadtek Winfast PVR 2000 on the post for xmas...

Not really expensive and it has all the features anyone is likely to need or in my case will use...

Have a look

Comment

• jpcolin
      • Dec 2003

ok i found the hauppauge Win TV PVR 250 (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr250.asp) with built in MPEG hardware encoder (133 euro), but my question is, when I have a Avi file on my HDD from my camcorder how do I tell my PC he must use this card instead of my CPU to encode in Mpeg?
      Is there a setting somewhere?
      Or is this card not good for what I want to do?

thx

Comment

• Floppy

Hi

I dont know the software for the card you mention or if it can use files already in your harddisk... I suppose exploring and trying the software and the card out would be the best way, even for me to find out...

The consolation for this is that you can capture this file again using the card and this wouldnt be a issue...

Make sure however that this card will support the DV input I cant read anywhere the full spec of it....

Comment

• jpcolin
          • Dec 2003

the card you mention leadtek doesn't have an DV (firewire) input either!

Comment

• Floppy

Originally posted by Floppy
            You need to look at a card that suppport Real-time Hardware MPEG-I/MPEG-II, thus not using your system resources to do the encoding...

Look at Leadtek capture cards...

Have a look
            My original post as you can read mentiones a card that supports direct hardware encoding, the only way the encoding is going to be done faster and better than by software.

this answers I believe the question asked...

It may very well be that the both cards can capture video from the DV, this is why I said make sure it can in his case...

Not so worried if mine can or not.

I will be getting the PVR 2000 for the array of features it will add to my PC expanding thus the capabilities of it.

Comment

Working...