Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Talasonic
    • Feb 2002

dual-layer DVDr's expected or no? when

Does anybody have any idea when or even if dual-layered DVDr's would come out? Is there talk of one being made or anything? I'm considering buying a writer, but it would certainly be worth waiting a little longer if dual-layer write were possible. It would make backing up DVD movies so completely simple and universally possible.
  • WizyWyg
    • Mar 2002

Doubt it since Dual layer dvd's are not "burned" they are pressed; its a whole different setup that currently (or will never be depending on how the movie studios think of it) be available to the normal everyday consumer.

If you want, you can spend the $250,000 the system that can.

Comment

• scottt
      • Jan 2002

An artical in itpapers.com stated 2 dvd's are made then fused together to get 9 gig disks. Another sourse says commercial burners have a special lazer to focus on the 2 different depths of the dvd disk.

Comment

• Talasonic
        • Feb 2002

An artical in itpapers.com stated 2 dvd's are made then fused together to get 9 gig disks. Another sourse says commercial burners have a special lazer to focus on the 2 different depths of the dvd disk.
        Yes, this second option is more what I had in mind. You could theoretially have 2 layers of semi-transparent dye. Then the burning laser could focus on one of those layers with a lot more power than the other to burn it.

However, it being possible and it being reasonably inexpensive are 2 completely seperate things. Even if it is possible cheaply, though, that still doesn't mean they'll ever do it. I guess I mainly wanted to know if anybody knew of such a system in the works, being developed. Apparently, the answer is no. That takes away a big reason not to buy a DVD burner right now.

Of course, if anybody knows of anything different, please do continue to post here.

Thanks

Comment

• WizyWyg
          • Mar 2002

Originally posted by Talasonic
          Apparently, the answer is no. That takes away a big reason not to buy a DVD burner right now.
          What do you mean it takes away a big reason.
          The reason why you buy a dvd writer is that you can make your own movies or save your own recorded movies that aren't available on DVD or has no chance in hell to make it to dvd. Obscure titles will never see or get a chance to make it to dvd. Hell. some movies cannot even make it to VHS.

Comment

Working...