Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cat44
    • Feb 2005

Setarip,

Have not tried "TMPGEnc DVD Author" yet. I will be leaving town shortly, so did not want to waste part of my "month" while away.

Will try it when I return. I was also planning on checking out DVDLab. Do you prefer one over the other?

I did not particularly like Nero Vision Express, even after I got it to work with my home movies.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

For EASE OF USE, hands down, the winner is "TMPGEnc DVD Author"...

Comment

• cat44
        • Feb 2005

The problem I was having with Nero Vision Express 2 is solved when using Nero VE 3. When attempting to add the VOB (described above), Nero VE 3 recognizes that it is composed of many video clips and asks if I want to combine them.

I have a OEM version of Nero which I had not realized could be updated to VE 3 for free.

Now to try TMPGEnc DVD Author.

Comment

• OptionGuy
          • May 2005

cat 44, setarip

I ripped a DVD using Decryptr and intend to remove small segments from the video clip. After importing the VOB file in Nero VE 2 and cutting the sections I didn't want, I then exported it as MPEG2. When I played back the new MPEG file, no audio ! Why is that ?

cat44, u mentioned Nero VE3 update is free, but the Nero website wants me to upgrade to Nero 6.6 to get the VE3. How did u get your VE3?

Comment

• Grunk
            • May 2005

Hi guys,

I've been reading in on the post started by cat44.

OptionGuy: you probably don't have the Dolby plug-in for Nero; don't ask me why, but they extract a further $25 from your hide to deal with AC-3 audio, which is typical for DVDs. Nero's not alone; I just saw that TMPGEnc charges extra for the Dolby decoder plug-in.

A quick note about authoring DVDs from various VOBs: in order to get around the problem that DVD Shrink only sees the most recently recorded program on a DVD_VR, I rip the others with DVD Decoder using the IFO mode. Once they are on the hard drive, I delete all the files besides the VOBs and then use IFOEdit to create IFOs. Then, each of the VOB packages is on the hard drive in the form of individual DVDs. You can use DVD Shrink then to combine these individual DVDs onto one DVD, a sort of simple authoring. It ain't fancy, but it's free!

My question is a bit different: when I import a movie from a DVD, Nero VE3 kills all the chapters that were on the original. Is there a way to stop this, or to restore them again?

I like very much the ability to author a DVD_VR with Nero VE3, because I am collecting 30-60min nature movies, which come in bits and pieces. To be able to add them directly to a DVD and not have to store them on my harddrive (ca. 6GB free space; yes I know, it's a laptop...) is very valuable. It's just that killing the chapters is an unpleasant side-effect.

Many thanks in advance for any support.

Grunk
            Last edited by Grunk; 31 May 2005, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• OptionGuy
              • May 2005

What ? Another $25.00. Shooot! Appreciate the help, Grunk.

Comment

• kixtand
                • Jun 2005

VE3 Problem

Hello all--

I have run into a problem w/ VE3 that goes along with this thread, somewhat. When I first installed VE3 I would get prompted to combine multiple VOBs into one VOB, to which I always checked yes, and then a folder would automatically be created for the import file, the video would be analyzed, and so on. Well, I mistakenly chose NO to creating a single VOB once, and this is where my problems started.

I now get prmpted for a file for the imported video and no longer get asked if I want to create a single VOB. I have tried a fresh install and even cleaned the registry w/ Nero's tools, and still have the problem.

Any suggestions??

Thanks--

kix

Comment

• Grunk
                  • May 2005

Hello kix,

Sorry, I do not know where those menu choices are. I started with VE3 and haven't seen them yet.

Related to your question, however, is the possibility to join titles. Once you have imported two or more files into your project, there is a button on the lower left part of the screen which permits joining titles.

I use it to glue a movie back together once I have chopped out a big chunk of ads in the middle.

I do, however, do that editing, finding beginning and end of movie and ads, in DVD Shrink. The film editing function of VE3 freezes regularly on me and is much too slow; the professionals charging buckets of cash for their software should take some pointers from the programmers out there (like those of DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter) which make freeware that has just as many bells and whistles as payware and at the same time does some things even better!

Hope this was helpful. Yours, Grunk

Comment

• koolboyz
                    • Jun 2006

hi i was wondering if anyone can help me, i was using nero 7 to record 2 movies, it was already converted to dvd format and then i used nero to burn it on disk. Before recording nero has to transcode the movies and after that it recorded half way and my pc switch off itself. Now the transcode files is lost somewhere on my pc and has taken so much space on the hard drive, i'v checked nero recode folder the files is not there .

Comment

Working...