Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dozy42
    • Jul 2005

Wow I feel like an idiot

okay im brand new to burning dvds and such lemme start off by saying that. i have about 140 minutes of video i'd like to get on one dvd. how do you guys decide how much to compress the video and what program do you use? in roxio easy medio creator 7 i tried to use the fit to disk function but it said even at the lowest quality it couldn't fit...how could this be? i don't understand why dvds you buy at a store can fit entire 3+ hour movies but i can't manage to squeeze in a little over 2 hours. Please help me shed some light on this issue. Thanks in advance guys.
  • Alien Bay
    Always learning
    • Oct 2004

you can download a program called DVD Shrink here. Shrink will let you open the video and offer compression for you automatically. You can then burn with Nero. Roxio isn't well thought of. Shrink is a great program and, it's absolutely Free. Matter of fact you'll find a whole forum devoted to Shrink here.

Here is a good tutorial for shrink
    Last edited by Alien Bay; 3 Jul 2005, 12:56 AM.
    APOD

Comment

• Alien Bay
      Always learning
      • Oct 2004

and Dozy42 ...
      Welcome to the forum
      APOD

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

i don't understand why dvds you buy at a store can fit entire 3+ hour movies but i can't manage to squeeze in a little over 2 hours.
        Most commercial DVD's are dual layer which allows more storage. Shrink compresses the data to make it fit on one layer.

Comment

• dozy42
          • Jul 2005

okay thanks guys for your help...now i have another question. i compressed video using the divx codec...can i use that to burn to dvd? the program im using won't see the file because its in divx form. to burn the video to a dvd does it need to be converted back to a regular avi? that would kinda defeat the purpose of compressing the file in the first place.

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

If your player can play back data DVD's with videos then just do a data DVD burn with the DiVX on them. Otherwise, you need to convert DiVX to DVD.

VSO DiVX to DVD is freeware.

Comment

Working...