• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajp
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Mar 2005

How to burn several AVI's to a DVD

Ok I did a search and just couldn't find what I was looiking for, so I am just gonna ask.

I currently have all 25 episodes of Lost that are TV rips in AVI format. Here is a screen shot of Gspot

Now what is the best way to convert these AVI's to a DVD format and burn them to DVD. I am thinking I want 4-5 episodes per DVD.

In the past I have converted AVI's using VSO DivxtoDVD with good luck but it takes some time and I just want to make sure there isnt an easier way.

TIA for any help.
    Adam
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

i frequently convert identical files
    this is the method i use for those types of files.

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI/MPG/wmv etc. to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by ajp
      I just want to make sure there isnt an easier way.
      there really isn't anything much easier, but...

the easiest way IMO is to encode with a fast program, such as 'mainconcept', and batch convert several episodes at once (witch will take quite some time). author using tmpgenc dvd author...
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• ajp
        Platinum Member
        Platinum Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
        there really isn't anything much easier, but...

the easiest way IMO is to encode with a fast program, such as 'mainconcept', and batch convert several episodes at once (witch will take quite some time). author using tmpgenc dvd author...
        How long would it take you to convert 5 350mb avi's?

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

depends on the quality you're looking for... lost episodes are around 40 min, it would take many hours.

the best way is to either get a dvb card and wait for repeats, or buy the dvd set which was released a short time ago. dvb (standard def) (in australia) is at dvd resolution, so anything i record can be burnt straight to dvd, no encoding needed, just authoring...

Comment

• ajp
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Mar 2005

These are high def TV rips, so near DVD quality, I guess I will just use VSO as I know it works and it is easy.

VSO makes vob files so if I rip each movie seperatly would I be able to add 5 differant vob folders to DVD shrink to make one DVD?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by ajp
              These are high def TV rips, so near DVD quality
              not even CLOSE to dvd quality

i'm not sure that you (or whoever encoded them) have ever seen hi-def (a hi-def 'rip', maybe) (no offence at all, mate!)

if you wish, i'll post some screenshots later of what hi-def looks like...
              Last edited by anonymez; 16 Sep 2005, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• ajp
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
                if you wish, i'll post some screenshots later of what its supposed to look like in hi-def...
                Please do, here is a screen shot of one of mine.

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

here's one i just found on the net. i dont have any HDTV shots of lost, as i wanted to burn them to dvd, so i only recorded them at dvd res. but here is one i found (will post hdtv shots of other shows that i DO have in hd):

the difference is HUGELY more noticeable when if you zoom your low-res pic up to full screen, then compare with the pic posted here

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

ok now here are 2 pics, the first one is SD (standard def- supposedly the same quality as dvd). the second one is decent enough HD (australian bitrates are usually horrible) :

SD pic:

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

HD pic:

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

the SD screenshot has been resized to to match the HD screenshot, so you can see the difference easily and without having to zoom in

Comment

• anonymez
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2004

another SD:

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

and its HD:

Comment

Working...