Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DayneJake
    • Nov 2005

VHS to DVD - dark output need to lighten

I am backing up all my VHS tapes. I have a WinTV device, Nero Software 6.6.0.16, Ulead DVD MovieFactory 3, VideoImpression 2, Windows Movie Maker, and some other software.

I can copy the DVD and burn it fine, the DVD is slightly darker than the original VHS though (everyone of them is this way). Anyone know how I can lighten them so they aren't so dark? The DVD's are then played on a regular DVD player not the PC.

The WINTV saves them in mpg format. The Ulead puts them in a VOB format, then Nero burns them into the correct format.

Anyone have a way to fix this?

Thanks!
  • G a r y
    Professional Student Bum!
    • Nov 2005

I had this once in work, the solution I found was I was converting from PAL to NTSC, this made the video footage very dark.

Might be a good idea to check you have the correct region?

Comment

• doit2it
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Nov 2005

Anyone know how I can lighten them so they aren't so dark?
      The simplest solution is probably to adjust the brightness and contrast settings of your TV or PC when you're playing the DVDs

Comment

• DayneJake
        • Nov 2005

I have the right regions and am going NTSC to NTSC.

Having to adjust the brightness and contrast on the TV shouldn't be the solution though.

Any other software to help out?

Comment

• doit2it
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Nov 2005

If you own any commercial DVDs, do they also playback a little darker on your TV? - mine do

Comment

• moonrocks
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jul 2005

My guess would be a setting in your WinTV capture software. Most capture software will allow you to adjust the brightness, hue, contrast etc. You may need to tweak the brightness just a bit to fix it.

But to be sure, test it step by step to see exactly at what stage in the process the darkness is being introduced. Check out the mpg file after it's created, if that looks good then check the VOB files, etc. all the way down the line.

You might want to check the brightness level on your PC monitor. If it's even a little bit too bright it might trick your eye into accepting a lower brightness setting in your capture software so that the video looks good on your PC but was actually captured at a lower brightness level than you wanted.

Also, try what doit2it suggested, compare a commerical DVD played on your standalone player vs. on your PC.

"Det blåser også her." - Erik den røde

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

u can use videostudio 9 or pinnacle studio 9 to enhance ur video both can be trialed,

u can also try TMPGEnc express filters it also can be trialed
              Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...