Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mugentuner
    • Dec 2005

Get a read error converting from AVI to MPG with TMPGEncode

Hi using tmpgencode I get a read error converting an avi with xvid to mpg. I tried scanning for errors in Virtual Dub and nothing shows up. The original avi looks fine.

I've also even extracted the original audio out of the avi file and saved as a uncompressed .wav file and tried to combine that with a 'silent' saved version of the original avi. Still no dice. I get random Read errors at certain % of the encoding (like 7% and 56%). When this happens, I can't seem to go on. Tried the original avi in G-spot and scanned to make sure everything was compatible on the pc and I look to have all the correct codecs e.t.c. Can anyone help? Thanks very much.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

Tmpgenc can encode virtually any xvid compressed avi

1) what was the exact error(s)?

2) does it play back on the pc ok? (the original avi)

3) have you tried to raise directshow multimedia file reader to 2?

Go to the TMPGEnc's Option menu and select Environmental settings. From there, select the
    VFAPI Plug-in tab.

There you see a list of various reader plugins installed for the TMPGEnc. The one that's called DirectShow Multimedia File Reader is the one that we're looking at. As a default, its priority is -1. Select the item and right click on it. Choose Higher priority and repeat this until the "Priority" for this item is higher than any other plugin's priority in the list (usually 2). LEAVE this set always. I have found 50% of files won’t even open or produce write stream errros unless this is set.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• mugentuner
      • Dec 2005

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
      Tmpgenc can encode virtually any xvid compressed avi

1) what was the exact error(s)?

2) does it play back on the pc ok? (the original avi)

3) have you tried to raise directshow multimedia file reader to 2?

Go to the TMPGEnc's Option menu and select Environmental settings. From there, select the
      VFAPI Plug-in tab.

There you see a list of various reader plugins installed for the TMPGEnc. The one that's called DirectShow Multimedia File Reader is the one that we're looking at. As a default, its priority is -1. Select the item and right click on it. Choose Higher priority and repeat this until the "Priority" for this item is higher than any other plugin's priority in the list (usually 2). LEAVE this set always. I have found 50% of files won’t even open or produce write stream errros unless this is set.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

yw, let us know how it works.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• mugentuner
          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
          yw, let us know how it works.
          I tried setting the Directshow setting to '2' and still get read errors

This time i've attached a error that I get. Columbo or someone else, could you decipher what needs to be done as a solution?

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

several things can cause that error.

you set direct show to "2", but is it also the highest value and at the top of the list?

could very well be a codec issue too. what codecs do you have on your system?
            for xvid and tmpgenc encoding i use xvid 1.0.3.
            install koepi's stable version (1.0.3)
            Free & Fast Downloads for Koepi's XviD Codec 1.3.4: download the latest versions of Koepi's XviD Codec

does the file playback on the pc ok at the points of where tmpgenc crashes?

do you have other things eating a lot of memory? any processes you can shut down?

do these errors occur randomly or always in the same place?

BTW don't put too much faith in gspot, it can say all needed codecs are on the system but yet still not what tmpgenc needs.
            Last edited by LT. Columbo; 15 Dec 2005, 11:24 AM.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...