How to increase volume of mpg file before burning ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Merlin
    • Jul 2006

How to increase volume of mpg file before burning ?

Hi, I have betamax vcr recordings I wish to write to dvd. Transferred to PC hard drive from the initial recording device (Panny EH50) using DVD-RAM.
    I see their volume level is somewhat duff and needs increasing. (VHS ones ok but using my vcr there and betamax is 2nd hand and lesser model than my dead C9)

How best can I do this ? No option but to improve the digital file. I normally open the DVD_RTAV folder into Videoredo and quickstream fix the file, then remove ads etc and use TMPGenc DVDauthor 2.0 to chapter and burn.

I have Audacity and NCH swift sound WavePad audio proggies. Neither seems willing to open the quickstream fix mpg or original VRO file. These are audio editing progs though so perhaps I need an mpg editing prog. I have Premiere 6.5 but thats not ok for mpg, best at avi files. What prog do I need, yet another purchase I guess, freebie preferably as now no dosh left. Pity Videoredo cant do such, as its fine for everything so far. I also have bought Ulead dvd movie factory 4 but prefer TMPGenc as it opens the renamed folders from RAM discs. and generally better anyway.

Merlin
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

-open the mpg in videoredo

-select the entire clip

-save as elementary streams; you'll end up with separate video & audio streams

-re-encode and normalize/apply gain in the process with an app of your choice, eg. belight, foobar2k, etc

-author & burn
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Merlin
      • Jul 2006

Videoredo in the current version now have tools>adjust audio so this makes life easier. However for TmpgEnc DVD author 2 to accept the resulting mpg file, its necessary when doing a save as, to choose bitrate 8 and keep sound at 320, I find this works, its so easy to forget to do so and then the file gives rise to a window in that author prog.

I am finding at the moment that the audio level in videoredo sounds low, I adjust it, only to find it was ok and is now too loud when played back on the telly or in the authoring prog on the pc, or in windvd on the pc, speakers unaltered between all three progs and the latter two mimick the tv volume level, so I need to increase the volume level in videoredo somehow...but how ?
      Merlin

Comment

Working...