X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rickles
    • Jan 2007

No sound when converting to NTSC

Hi folks, here's my problem ...

I have been using DVDSanta to convert DVD's from PAL to NTSC for my friends in the US. "Commercial"/original (non-protected) video converts with no problem, but when I try to do the same with a DVD that I have created by recording from tape to DVD, I get picture but no sound.

To recap, I record to a standalone DVDR from my VCR, then use that disk to create a DVD+ or -R disk ... which works fine in the player (both stand alone and the PC).

When I run it through DVDSanta to obtain an NTSC version, the result is picture but no sound.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Cheers ... R.
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

It's probably because your recorded DVD has only a MP3 audio track. Normally, it's illegal, although most players will play it without problem (but they must have a built-in MP3 decoder.)

I don't know what's the problem, as I don't know DVDSanta. Maybe it doesn't copy the MP3 audio track at all. Or it has set a wrong stream definition in the domain stream attributes in the IFOs.

Try to open the reauthored DVD in PgcEdit. Right-click on the main movie PGC and select "Domain Stream Attributes". Verify that the audio track is defined. If it is there, open also the original DVD in another instance of PgcEdit, and compare the definitions. They should be exactly the same.

Also, double-click on the main movie PGC of your reauthored DVD to open the PGC Editor, and verify that the button for audio stream 0 is correctly labelled "0". If it's "none", click on the button to change its assignment to stream 0.
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• Rickles
      • Jan 2007

rOIZ,

Thanks for your reply.

I've used GSpot to interrogate the files along the lines you suggested, and found the original tape-to-disk files and those passed throug DVDSanta to be identical, viz.
      Audio = AC3
      MPEG-2 Prog Stream (1 vid, 1 aud)
      Info = 0xbd(0x80)48000Hz 256kb/s total (2 channel)

I also ran another test using a "commercial" DVD movie (which reproduced video and sound perfectly), and the only difference was the Audio Info line, being
      448kb/s total 5.1 Channel.

Any further suggestions most welcome.

R.

Comment

• r0lZ
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Mar 2004

Hum, I can't be more precise w/o seeing your IFOs. Can you post an archive with the original IFOs and the reauthored ones?

BTW, I wonder also why you want to convert to NTSC. PAL is much better, and I suggest you stick with it if you have a player able to output a NTSC signal anyway, or a multi-standard TV.
        r0lZ

Comment

• Rickles
          • Jan 2007

rOIZ,

How do I "post an archive"? I can send you files via an e-mail addy direct if that helps.

Re the conversion, my hardware here in NZ can handle all formats no problem, it's just as I said in my first post that I want to send it to a friend in the USA ... his player/TV only accepts NTSC.

Cheers & thanks,

R.

Comment

• r0lZ
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Mar 2004

To post an archive here, click "Go Advanced" below, and then "Manage Attachments". You can also send it by email at pgcedit [at] scarlet [dot] be.
            r0lZ

Comment

• Rickles
              • Jan 2007

Roger that ... got caught by the terminology for a moment <BG>.
              I'll e-mail (small) files for comparison shortly.

Thanks,

R.

Comment

• r0lZ
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Mar 2004

I can't find obvious problems with your IFOs. The audio stream is correctly declared (except that the Surround flag is set, and should not, but that's not why the audio cannot be played.)
                Also, VIDEO_TS.IFO is 106KB, and I really doesn't understand why, as the space really used by the tables is 8KB!

IMO, DVDSanta is probably not bug free. Try to convert to NTSC with another tool. Maybe you can do that with the free version of DVD Rebuilder, but I'm not sure. Good luck!

Sorry, I can't do much more.
                r0lZ

Comment

• Rickles
                  • Jan 2007

rOIZ,

Many thanks for your time and help anyway ... it sure is a wierd one, huh? <BG>.

The oddity is that a "comercial" DVd will convert to NTSC no problems at all ... go figure <g>.

I'll try for another converter for sure.

Cheers,

R.

Comment

• Rickles
                    • Jan 2007

rOIZ and others,

Problem solved by using WinAVI ... did the job perfectly.

R.

Comment

• integra
                      • Oct 2005

what is about the sound suddenly disappears during play? I recently use avi2dvd to convert the movie from .avi to dvd, and during play back, the sound disappear. I do not know why? Please advise.

regards,
                      integra

Comment

Working...