Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinkerton
    • May 2002

DVD9 to DVD5 backup help PLZ

I have read many of the guides but still seem to be a bit in the dark with this one.
    I'm a bit new to DVD backup with my pioneer A04, So PLZ be patient with me.
    I can backup DVD5 Discs with no problem. DVD9 is a different story.
    I use Smartripper to rip just the movie, I use streaming to get rid of unwanted audio and subtitles and I tick to copy over the IFO files. The files are small enough to fit on a single DVDr as I have only included the movie and left out trailers and extra's.
    I have then used ifoedit (which seems very unstable on my XP PC)
    to get vts sectors, all seems well.
    I burn the disc as I would with a straight copy of a DVD5.
    The resulting disc will not play with anything ie powerdvd, windvd
    etc.
    It will play however if I play the vob files in file mode.
    I can see I must be doing something wrong regarding the ifo file or the video_ts files are wrong. how can I check or correct these?
    Can Smartripper or any other ripper rip the movie and include corrected versions of these files?
    Any help would be of use, Thanks
  • pinkerton
    • May 2002

Thanks for all the help
    I'm still confused

In a nutshell, Once I have ripped a DVD9 down to just the movie vobs, which is small enough to fit on a DVD5, How do I burn it so that the disc will work?
    PLZ help!!
    Thanks.

Comment

• Tweety Pie
      • May 2002

Follow these steps:-

1/ Rip dvd in backup mode in smartripper (not movie or files - but the whole lot).

2/ Make a note of which vob set is the film (usually between 4-8 vobs long)

3/ Open ifoedit.Go to open file and select the .ifo file of the particular vts set that the film is in i.e. vts_01_0.IFO.This will load in the film.You will see a big list of files which represent your film.

4/ Now at the top go to Vob Extras -> Create new ifos.

The following should be ticked by default.

Correct Vob units
      Correct ifo tables
      Correct Video_ts.ifo & VTS_01_0.IFO

+ all the boxes under vob file options except remove angles (only applicable if multiple angle dvd and some need removing)

Now tick Strip streams aswell (note that you DIDN'T do this in smartripper), select destination directory and click OK.

5/ You will be presented with a list of streams.Keep ticked your audio english and sub picture english (presuming you want english that is!) most usually audio stream 1 and sub-picture 1.

Click ok

6/ You movie is now being removed form the rest of the dvd with only the selected streams present, and after finishing will have all vob pointers corrected.

7/ Now close down ifoedit.

8/ Re-open ifoedit and now load in the new .ifo file from your destination directory you have just sent your film to.

9/ Click region free (just in case you didnt hav it selected in smartripper when you first ripped the dvd) and then Get VTS sectors.Keep clicking until finished and close down ifo edit.

10/ Now browse to your destination directory and you will see your new set of vobs with all the correct VIDEO_TS files etc.Create a new folder called video_ts, copy everything into it and burn in the manner you have used in the past to do a dvd.

Note though that before doing all the above - that your stripped down movie out of the dvd will still fit on a 4.7 gig disc! as its a lot of work only to find it still wont fit lol.

Comment

• pinkerton
        • May 2002

Thanks for the reply
        I will give it a go

Comment

• Tweety Pie
          • May 2002

No probs m8 - let me know how you get on.

It works for me - just follow it step by step.

I hope i explained it ok as i was doing it late the other night for you

Comment

Working...