Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • werner gerth
    • Mar 2007

Dear reader,
    I made a Pal video. I have friends in the US who wanted to have the video. I made a DVD and sent it to them. But they could not see it.
    I was surprised because my dvd player, I live in the Netherland, plays everything. NTSC, Pal does not matter.
    Probably it has to do with the region code. So I tried something else.
    I burned an image of the video and put it on a location for them to download. They downloaded the file and they tried to burn a DVD.
    Again it did not work out.............
    Does anyone have a suggestion ??
    Werner
  • techreactor
    Banned
    • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by werner gerth
    Dear reader,
    I made a Pal video. I have friends in the US who wanted to have the video. I made a DVD and sent it to them. But they could not see it.
    I was surprised because my dvd player, I live in the Netherland, plays everything. NTSC, Pal does not matter.
    Probably it has to do with the region code. So I tried something else.
    I burned an image of the video and put it on a location for them to download. They downloaded the file and they tried to burn a DVD.
    Again it did not work out.............
    Does anyone have a suggestion ??
    Werner
    Probably their DVD player does not support PAL, if its a region problem, they will get a messgae on their player.

Ask them to play in a software player, does it work ???

Comment

• linx05
      • Nov 2005

I think it could be because it is PAL. Why does the disc have a region code in the first place? If the DVD is commercial then what you are doing is against the rules. I don't know why anyone would create a personal DVD and choosing a region for it.

Tell them to get a player which will play both NTSC and PAL.

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

@linx05

Please remember rule 17

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• werner gerth
          • Mar 2007

Originally Posted by linx05
          I think it could be because it is PAL. Why does the disc have a region code in the first place? If the DVD is commercial then what you are doing is against the rules. I don't know why anyone would create a personal DVD and choosing a region for it.

Tell them to get a player which will play both NTSC and PAL.
          Do they sell players in the Us playing NTSC and Pal ?
          I already know that they can see VOB files which they downloaded in the mediaplayer.
          But burning an image on a DVD does not work.............

Comment

• src2206
            • Jan 2007

It is surely an issue with PAL. In US it is quite common feature that PAL videos do not play. You need to convert the DVD to NTSC before your friends in US can watch it.

Those players which support PAL can also support NTSC by default, but the same is not true for the opposite. Similar restriction applies for Televisions also. PAL TV can display NTSC image without any trouble, but a TV promarily made for NTSC generally can not support PAL signal unless a special feature is incorporated in it.

Comment

• src2206
              • Jan 2007

One more thing, burning on DVD [ie the VOB files] will not work as the original from which the VOB files are created is encoded in PAL.

Comment

• r0lZ
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by src2206
                Those players which support PAL can also support NTSC by default, but the same is not true for the opposite.
                Do you know why?
                It is certainly as easy technically to do it in both cases, and there are even more good reasons to offer multistandard players in NTSC land, as PAL is undoubtedly a better standard.
                r0lZ
                PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
                Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• src2206
                  • Jan 2007

I am not entirely sure, but I think the answer lies in the number of Horizontal and Vertical scanning lines. A PAL device must be able to scan eg, for a DVD 720 vertical lines and 576 horizontal lines whereas the numbers are 720 and 480for NTSC. So the PAL already covers what NTSC needs to cover, but vice versa is not true.

So unless a NTSC device is specially enabled to be able to scan a PAL signal it should not be able to do that.

If you can find anything more concrete please let me know.

Comment

• r0lZ
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks for the explanation. However, as PAL/NTSC players exist, why not sell them in the US market as well? They should be suitable in the whole world. Maybe there are a little bit more expensive?

Note also that some cheap or old multistandard PAL players are not really multistandard. They claim to support NTSC, but the vertical sync rate is not exactly what it should be, and some TVs have trouble displaying NTSC DVDs converted to PAL by those players. It's the case of my old and very expansive Sony DVP-S725-D. There is always a white line at the top of the image, and the image appear a little bit compressed vertically.
                    r0lZ

Comment

• src2206
                      • Jan 2007

Not sure why they do not sell.....I never really understand the standards followed by US. And the weirdest thing is they still follow the FPS system of measurement when it is a proven fact as well as International and Scientific standard that SI and CGS are more easy and better.

I have two TVs, one is pretty old, and a PHILIPS DVD player...though I never faced any problem as described by you. But one thing is for sure that if you have bought that in US and it is old then most likely you are going to have troubles in displaying the alien format, that is the format it is not originally made for. Newer devices should not give you any trouble.

Cheers

Comment

• r0lZ
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Mar 2004

Right. My KISS (which is really not a good player!) has not that problem.
                        r0lZ

Comment

• werner gerth
                          • Mar 2007

Originally Posted by src2206
                          Not sure why they do not sell.....I never really understand the standards followed by US. And the weirdest thing is they still follow the FPS system of measurement when it is a proven fact as well as International and Scientific standard that SI and CGS are more easy and better.

I have two TVs, one is pretty old, and a PHILIPS DVD player...though I never faced any problem as described by you. But one thing is for sure that if you have bought that in US and it is old then most likely you are going to have troubles in displaying the alien format, that is the format it is not originally made for. Newer devices should not give you any trouble.

Cheers

This explains all: Very good website

Comment

• blutach
                            Not a god of digital video
                            • Oct 2004

I believe it is mainly a cost issue r0lZ. The manufacturers don't wanna add to the cost as that might make them uncompetitive and also believe the feature is for a very tiny minority (they might be right). I suspect they feel "why would anyone wanna play anything other than a region 1, NTSC DVD?" Conclusion: No need to make it read PAL.

Regards
                            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• src2206
                              • Jan 2007

Hi r0lz

It also seems to me that cost can be a major issue....though as you rightly pointed out earlier, PAL is obviously a better standard than NTSC.

@blutach, what do you have in Australia? PAL or NTSC?

Comment

Working...