Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerry Jacobs
    • Apr 2007

DVD Security Password Protection - Looking for a better solution

We are planning to author a DVD with 10 different video titles on the disc. The disc would autolaunch to a main menu screen showing the 10 titles. Each of the 10 video titles has it's own password. Our objective is that if the end user pre-pays a fee, a password would be issued, and then only that specific video title could be played.

We know how to author and password protect the disc and in fact have run an initial test, but the password protection is much too easily gotten around, making it too easy to get the other titles for free. Here is the problem we are encountering...

1. When on a DVD player feeding to a television, the code does block the program. However, if you hit the stop button on the DVD player and hit play immediately after it, the code entry is bypassed and the video will play. This happened on two separate DVD players.

2. When the DVD is played on a computer, the code works as well. However, if you go to File>Open and select on the second chapter listed on the D drive, the code can be bypassed as well.

Does anyone know of a way to achieve a better solution?

Jerry Jacobs
    Last edited by Jerry Jacobs; 7 Apr 2007, 08:02 AM.
  • 2COOL
    Kamen Moderator V3
    • Aug 2003

For someone who knows how the DVD navigation works on your DVD, it's a simple matter of figuring out what the code is in the IFOs. You don't even have to play your DVD. They would just rip it and preview it through PgcEdit or IfoEdit.

[EDIT]A DVD is like a computer program.
    2CL C Henshin!
    If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

• r0lZ
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Mar 2004

1. After STOP, the GPRMs are reset to 0. Therefore, you can initialize a GPRM to a non-zero value in the FP-PGC, and test it in the pre-commands of the titles. If its value is 0, jump to the FP-PGC. That will force the DVD to start over.

2. Set the PUO that prohibits to select a specific chapter in all PGCs of the DVD except in the titles.

In addition to the note by 2COOL, note also that on a PC, it is possible to read the VOB files directly, without using the IFOs. The navigation is completely ignored. Therefore, it is always possible to read (and to copy) your DVD. Unfortunately, I think there is no solution for this problem.
      r0lZ
      PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
      Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• 2COOL
        Kamen Moderator V3
        • Aug 2003

Thank r0lZ! I forgot about that.
        2CL C Henshin!
        If you got a dollar for everytime someone called you ugly, you'd be a millionaire...an "ugly" millionaire.±

Comment

• blutach
          Not a god of digital video
          • Oct 2004

However, some players have a resume from stop feature.

But, in reality, there is no way to stop a person from by-passing your passwords. Commercial DVDs have Easter Eggs where you need to enter codes to get to certain special features (National Treasure is one I can think of). The codes are there for all to see in the IFO files. Anyone who knows how to bypass your passwords will be able to do so, easily.

Regards
          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• linx05
            • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by blutach
            But, in reality, there is no way to stop a person from by-passing your passwords. Commercial DVDs have Easter Eggs where you need to enter codes to get to certain special features (National Treasure is one I can think of). The codes are there for all to see in the IFO files. Anyone who knows how to bypass your passwords will be able to do so, easily.
            Jerry, have a look here to find more about the easter egg commands. Make sure you read 2COOLs link aswell. It's a little bit over my head but I'm working through it.

I hope it helps.

Comment

Working...