Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterk
    • Feb 2007

Want to clean up IFO's

This is what's left after blanking unwanted Vob's. Using PgcEdit this is what is left, Uncalled PGC's have been deleted. Is there something I can do to clean this stuff up, it just seems a bit cluttered to me (although everything works ok)
    Attached Files
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Leave it alone. PgcEdit has determined that the PGCs that are left are called (it doesn't know whether they are actually visited - this only you can determine with a trace).

They harm nothing by staying.

Also, fyi, next time attach pics in PNG format - they are much smaller.

Regards
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• r0lZ
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Mar 2004

I agree. It is always possible to remove the useless VTSs, but if PgcEdit cannot do it automatically, that means that you have to modify the nav commands manually before calling Delete Uncalled PGCs, and that's not always easy.

If you want to try, use the trace and click on all menu buttons. When you are sure that the "empty" VTSs are never called, use Info -> Jumps from VMG to current VTS to find the commands that call the current VTS, and delete them. When you have deleted all commands jumping to empty VTSs, call Delete Uncalled PGCs again. PgcEdit will remove them.
      Of course, as it's relatively dangerous to do, be sure to do a backup first!
      r0lZ
      PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
      Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• Calimari
        • Oct 2006

@peterk
        As blutach already said, if PgcEdit doesn't give you errors or warnings, you'll be fine. Your DVD is compliant and will most likely play on a standalone.
        You've blanked some titlesets but they are still called, so they will play (blanked cells) without you noticing it.
        However, me, I can't live with those useless (but called) titlesets. I edit the navigation so they will become uncalled, thus wiped out via the Delete Uncalled Titlesets in PgcEdit.
        Whenever you decide to try this, I suggest you don't blank them first, as it's good to see in PgcEdit's Preview what the title actually plays.
        Now, to decide which titlesets you wanna remove, you can watch them. Or, in case of many sets (eg. 99!), you can use PgcEdit's Jumps from VMG to VTSs function. The ones with only one reference in the VMG are often unwanted (not always!).
        Also, useless is relative. You decide what you'll leave in and what you'll remove. I like my DVD's to start with the main menu. I leave trailers, extra's etc. in, but I don't like my DVD to start with it. If you don't wanna remove a whole titleset, you can also make part of it (some PGC's) uncalled to remove them with the Delete Uncalled PGC's function.
        To make a PGC (or a whole titleset) uncalled, here a few tips.
        -Check if the PGC actually will be called (even if it's not declared as uncalled in PgcEdit). As rOLZ said, browsing through your DVD in trace mode and clicking all buttons is one possibility. You'll see the played PGC's become yellow in the left window. Another possibility is to check the calling condition. Something like this
        1 Set gprm(4) =(mov) 4
        2 if ( gprm(4) != 0) then { Goto line 4 }
        3 (JumpTT) Jump to Title 14
        4 NOP
        keeps Title 14 called, but as you can see it will never be called as commandline 3 is always skipped. So, deleting commandline 3 will make Title 14 uncalled in your next search.
        Also check the state of GPRM's, used in such conditions. At the bottom of PgcEdit's GUI, you can enter a search string. This is handy to search if and where a GPRM is set to a specific value. For example, if you kill playback of a language selection screen and choose one language, this info is often stored in a GPRM. So you can check where it is used and decide if those conditions will ever be true or false (eg. if gprm(3) is only set once to 2, all other conditions like if gprm(3) == x will always be false).
        -When you decide to get rid of a PGC, use Kill Playback on it first. This will blank the cells and copy the postcommands into the precommands section.
        Blanking the cells is important, as they can be stripped out later with VobBlanker to gain space on your disc. And since the postcommands are copied into the precommand section, it's easy to copy this entire section to replace (paste) the calling command of the PGC with. And since the calling command is gone then, your PGC will become uncalled. But be carefull, as this is tricky. The navigation (pre/post/cell commands) may not change. In a lot of cases you will copy the commands to the VMG section. Some commands will turn pink, as they're illegal there. Double click on them to open the command editor and choose the right replacement. PgcEdit only allows you to choose legal commands, this is handy. The tricky part is, some commands will not be illegal but will screw up your navigation. Here's an example: LinkPGCN PGC 5 in VTS 14 will jump to PGC 5 there. Copied in the VMG, this command will be legal BUT it will play PGC 5 in the VMG section instead.
        Others will turn pink, like (CallSS) Call the VTSM Root menu of the current VTS, resume cell 1 SS), this has to be replaced by a command that calls the root menu of the VTS it was in, eg. 14. So change it to (JumpSS) Jump to VTSM 14, Root menu (TTN ...)
        Also remember, jumps from the VMG to a VTS can only be done by jumping to a title or to a menu (root, angle,...). A jump to another pgc (eg. a menu in another language) can not be done directly.

Of course, all of this asks for a little knowledge of DVD commands, but PgcEdit is THE tool for this purpose. I hope you're not discouraged by this all. There's nothing that can't be done in PgcEdit, but it takes some time to learn how to use it. Be sure to take a backup before you try new functions out.
        Last edited by Calimari; 9 May 2007, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• r0lZ
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Mar 2004

Nice explanation, Calimari!
          I use often similar methods to get rid of useless PGCs or titlesets.

BTW, in some cases, I use also another "advanced" technique, using the trace, to jump directly from a PGC to another one, and skip everything between them. The method is similar to the Jump To PGC upon DVD Insert function, but is not fully automatic.
          You have to navigate to the starting PGC, and stop the trace just before the first jump is executed. Then use "Trace menu -> State -> Clear 'Register Changed' flags" (and, if you wish "Clear 'PGCs played' highlights".) Then, continue to trace to the first pre-command of your target PGC, and use "Clipboard -> Copy Changed Registers as commands". Return to the starting PGC, and replace the jump by the commands in the clipboard. You might have to modify some of them, as you have explained above.
          With some luck, many PGCs that are now skipped will be automatically deleted when you use Delete Uncalled PGCs again.
          r0lZ
          PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
          Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• Calimari
            • Oct 2006

@rOLZ
            Awesome, I definitely give that one a try, thanks!

Comment

• peterk
              • Feb 2007

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. It's a bit much for my level, I need more training, but it's something that I will try.

Comment

Working...