• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdkapp
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2007

Adding a subpicture?

I've created a DVD from a TV movie and I replaced the basic Title Menu made by FAVC with my own through VOB Blanker. The Title Menu is in the VMGM domain, and I placed a button on it to Link to a Chapter Menu, which I created in VTSM 1. After FAVC created the DVD, VTSM 1 was a dummy. Following some of the guides and posts in this forum and Doom 9, I converted the dummy PGC into a menu by creating a couple of blank new cells in PgcEdit, and then I replaced them with my 2 Chapter Menu background images in VOB Blanker. At some point (I don't remember exactly when), I copied and pasted the Color Lookup Table (CLUT) from the Title Menu of the same DVD (opened in a another PgcEditor). The CLUT appeared to come over exactly and I thought I was home free. But not so. There is no subpicture whatsoever in my Chapter Menus. I've verified this in DVDSubEdit. Therefore, there are no highlights on my buttons. I believe I have the navigation down pretty well, but without the button highlights it's hard to tell.

I have searched this forum and others, as well as PgcEdit and DVDSubEdit for how to add a subpicture, but have not found the solution. I have tried to copy the CLUT from other DVDs, but to no avail. Did I do something wrong in creating the menu and then importing the background image? Any help will be appreciated. I've attached my IFOs and Menu VOB. Thanks.
    Last edited by cynthia; 7 May 2008, 03:07 AM.
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

You have lost your subpic stream, because PgcEdit doesn't create it for you when you create blank cells, and VobBlanker neither when you replace the background image.

IMO, since there is no video in the original VTST 1 domain, the easiest way to import your chapter menu is simply to import it with PgcEdit (using Menu -> Import Menu.) You might have to edit or copy/paste the PGC commands (and perhaps create some new PGCs or reorder them) but it's easier and faster than your method, and you don't need to modify the menu VOB.
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

@rdkapp - we cannot allow posting of IFOs and VOBs. Sorry.

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• rdkapp
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Jan 2007

@r0lZ. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by r0lZ
        You have lost your subpic stream, because PgcEdit doesn't create it for you when you create blank cells, and VobBlanker neither when you replace the background image.
        In that case, I'm not sure I ever had a subpic stream.

IMO, since there is no video in the original VTST 1 domain, the easiest way to import your chapter menu is simply to import it with PgcEdit (using Menu -> Import Menu.)
        Huh? I don't understand. The video is in the VTST 1 domain. And, the only Chapter menu I have is the one I created w/out the subpic stream. When I import the Chapter menu, won't it come over w/out a subpic stream? And, where am I importing this Chapter menu from? Please clarify. Thanks.

@blu - Is that a brand new rule? I ask that, because a few weeks ago (Aug 31st), I posted IFOs and a Menu VOB in a post, and you actually provided a fix w/out any stated prohibitions. Did that one slip by; or is the rule brand new; or is there a distinction that I need to know? Sorry. It won't happen again.

Comment

• r0lZ
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by rdkapp
          ... and I placed a button on it to Link to a Chapter Menu, which I created in VTSM 1.
          How did you that menu button? If you have used a DVD authoring program, you should have a working button, with a subpic stream, needed to highlight it. Of course, if you have only created an image, you don't have a real menu button, and it is not possible to create it with PgcEdit or VobBlanker. (PgcEdit can be used to define a button, but without highlight. It should be used only to define the clickable area of the button, modify its command or the links between buttons, or to define hidden buttons, without highlights.)
          To create a real menu, you need an authoring program such as DVDAuthor (free) or DVD-Lab (commercial but very good.)
          r0lZ
          PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
          Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• rdkapp
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Jan 2007

How did you that menu button?
            The menu button I referred to in my initial post was placed in the Title menu in the VMGM domain. The Title menu was very basic and initially created by FAVC w/a single button to play the movie. I replaced the background of the basic FAVC Title menu with a custom background and added the button to link to a Chapter menu which I created in VTSM 1. I have no problems with the Title menu. It has a subpic stream and button highlights. It's the 2 Chapter menus that are the problem.

If you have used a DVD authoring program, you should have a working button, with a subpic stream, needed to highlight it. Of course, if you have only created an image, you don't have a real menu button, and it is not possible to create it with PgcEdit or VobBlanker. (PgcEdit can be used to define a button, but without highlight. It should be used only to define the clickable area of the button, modify its command or the links between buttons, or to define hidden buttons, without highlights.)
            For the 2 Chapter menus, I created the background images (2), attempted to copy the CLUTs in PgcEdit, replaced the tiny cells w/the BMP images in VOB Blanker, and then created (or defined) the buttons on the Chapter menus in PgcEdit. The buttons and the navigation between the buttons work, but as you said, there is no highlight on the buttons.

To create a real menu, you need an authoring program such as DVDAuthor (free) or DVD-Lab (commercial but very good.)
            I'll give DVDAuthor a look. Thanks again r0lZ!

Comment

Working...