• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

How to create DVD menu?

I am finding lot's to edit a DVD menu, but I want to create one from scratch.

I have 4 about 45 minute clips that I have already converted to DVD individually.

What I want to do is combine all four on to one DVD and navigate each one similar to commercial DVD's.

It's a family project for Christmas, but I would like to do this soon.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

If it was obvious I apologize. I have been trying to search for a few day's now.

Thanks

• MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

I know 2 apps that have easy to use menu wizards. The first is about $20. It's SVCD2DVD. What you would do is take the vob from each dvd and load it as an "asset" and then use the Menu Wizard. You can either have text buttons or image buttons.

The other is freeware AVStoDVD. I don't get into motion menus but I think AVStoDVD has a provision for it. It has a thread in the one-click converter section on DOOM9 forum.

SVCD2DVD has it's own forum on videohelp.com forums.

Comment

• peterk
      • Feb 2007

There are many programs that have their own menu backgrounds and navigation buttons. Nero, ConvertxtoDVD, TMPGEnc, DVD-Lab etc. You can use their own bmp or import another bmp background captured still from one of your video files. Or if you're a real graphics design type of person you can use Adobe Photoshop and create your own as in pro dvd's but you don't have the time for the learn curve due to your time restraints, so go with one of the others.

There is also the feature to add music background and fade-out after menu selection etc.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

@peterk to go with what you said about background, usually a program will give you a default background image. You can take any jpeg and crop it to the same size to substitute. I like to use various backgrounds from fractal flames programs. Usually the pattern works well as a backdrop for buttons.

The screen shot is one I use with FAVC menu.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by MilesAhead; 23 Nov 2009, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• kdla1957
          • Jan 2010

Miles,
          What if I don't have VOB? I want to put three xvid movies on one DVD and have a menu to select which movie to watch - on a non-PC DVD player. Most softwares (like Nero) by default, uncompress the movies so that there is no room on the DVD for all 3.

Regards
          Kerry

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

I use Imgburn "Write Files/Folders to Disc" option. It's just a data DVD with the correct file systems. Usually when Imgburn sees that the folder is full of video files it will suggest file systems settings if the current ones aren't optimal. Just click OK to let it change it.

I don't use a menu on those because my stand-alone DVD players pop up a menu with the file names. Just select the file and press Play. Most DVD players that play divx have such a menu. You might have to look in the manual to see how to enable it.

Comment

• kdla1957
              • Jan 2010

Thanks Miles,

Imgburn will do nicely. Using no menu should work fine for what I want, it just lacks the personal creativity I was hoping to acheive. (my mom won't be able to say; ooooh, did you do that?") But that's ok, 'cuz she is already proud of me... lol.

Regards
              Kerry

Comment

• Art Vandelay
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Feb 2006

if you want to make mom real proud of you search some of my past postings because the with 1 the author of PGCedit walked me throught the process of selecting your own pic to be the menu. I made episode DVD's, it a bit confusing but is kinda neat as it shows how DVD's navigate.

Comment

• kdla1957
                  • Jan 2010

The little things

Thanks Art. I'll start browsing today. Just what the doctor ordered for this rainy day.

Regards,
                  Kerry

Comment

Working...