X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • Jan 2002

Video File Editing

Hi all.

I'm a noob to video editing, so please be gentle.....

I've got a TV tuner card in my computer, a sort of high-end model made by Hauppauge called the Colossus. When I use it to record a TV show, it automatically records it in HD, 1080p, so, the files can be quite large.

On a recent Saturday Night Live show, I recorded when the musical guest was on. The clip is about 5 minutes long and over 400 MB's in size. When I recorded it I didn't quite catch it in time to stop recording at the end of the musical performance, so, it goes on into the commercial break.

I simply want to trim a few seconds off the end of the clip.

This Hauppauge Colossus card came bundled with software known as ArcSoft ShowBiz. It supposedly can edit video.

But when I use it to edit or "trim" the video.....and then I want to "save" my work, it doesn't save it as the original video file (the file is an MPEG-2 TS video file). I did a screen capture of what it wants to save it as:

Do you see where it says "Save as type"? There is no other choice besides what you see in that drop-down menu: "ArcSoft ShowBiz Project File (*.tms). I'd like to save it as the MPEG file, not this ".tms" thing.

You know how if you scan a picture, you have choices like .jpg, .tif, or .bmp? I wish I could do that with this video file. But if I save it, the file can only be opened up in this ArcSoft ShowBiz program, not in, say, Windows Media Player or VLC Media Player.

Any help here? Am I missing something simple right in front of my eyes?

Or, if you're not familiar with this particular piece of software (ArcSoft ShowBiz), then could you perhaps recommend a piece of video editing software that could handle MPEG-2 TS files?

Thanks!
    Pez
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

I highly recommend VideoRedo, as it is frame accurate, easy to use and powerful. It doesn't re-encode the MPEG or TS file, unless it's necessary.
    However, it is not free, and the version that can handle the HD format is the most expensive.

I don't have ArcSoft ShowBiz any more, but iirc, it should have an option to export the file under another video format.
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

Working...