X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • telstra111
    • May 2002

FYI DVD2ONE 113 & DVD Shrink 2 compared

project:

Shawshank Redemption DVD 9 --> DVD 5 (complete disk, Initial Rip with Smart Ripper)

Results
    -------
    Speed, on P4 2.5GHz, 512meg RAM

dvd2one - 25min
    dvd shrink - 42min*

* with dvd shrink you have the option of ripping and transcoding at the same time, but this doesnt save you any time. the whole process simply takes a whole rip time longer. I tested both programs on a HD rip.

Quality:

My first impression was that the quality was very similar. Quite watchable. Side by side comparison of grabs in photoshop revealed very little difference. on playback I could not tell which was which. frame grabs showed macroblocks in parts of the frame in both. obviously quality would be better if only main the feature was encoded

Notes
    ----------
    One advantage of the dvd2one is it removes the fascist 'force you to watch' bit that most dvds have eg. dolby advertisements, copyright warnings and similar BS. dvd2one is great if you want to rip the main feature OR the whole disc. it couldnt possibly be easier. you can choose audio and subs to include/exclude as well. This proggie automatically chooses the required level of compression to fit a dvd-r (or other disc size that you specify)

DVD Shrink has far more features - too many to list in fact. it is for those who really want to tweak things. you can compress different titles with differing degrees of compression, so you can allocate more bits to main feature for example, and squeeze the hell out of the menus. you can also keep or chuck audio on a title by title basis. In advanced (re-author) mode you can select which titles you want to keep or not. you can even trim the beginning and end of individual titles (a preview and playback controls are provided for this). unfortunately you LOSE the menus in this mode, so if you include more than one title on your disc, you have to access them with the |< >| controls on your player. incidentally, to fit the entire disc onto DVD-r I had to use the second highest compression available (there are about 10 presets).

both these programs make dvd 9-->5 a snap.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by telstra111; 8 Jun 2003, 10:15 AM.
  • dvdshrink
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2003

Hi,

Was the DVD Shrink time 42 minutes from the hard disk, or 42 minutes direct from DVD-ROM?

Comment

• telstra111
      • May 2002

from the HD

Comment

• netmonkey
        • May 2003

dvdshrink,

My test result times with DVDShrink 2.0 are significantly less than the 42mins reported by telstra111. About 18-13min rip/encoding (Phase 1). About 5-6 minutes on the VOB fix up (phase 2). This all being done from a Lite-on 16x DVD-ROM drive.

System:
        Athlon XP 2100, 512MB DDR2100 RAM, 40GB HD (ATA100), Sony DRU500A, Lite-On LTD 166S DVD-ROM

FYI: I haven't seen any noticeable differences in quality in level 1 or 2 compression. I like the new UI design in v2.0. Nice work.

-- netmonkey

Comment

• telstra111
          • May 2002

25 mins including ripping is pretty amazing. Either the Athlon system you are using is amazing or the Versions of Shawshank we are have are v different. I have added my system specs to the original post

Comment

• netmonkey
            • May 2003

Hi telstra111,

My bad. The few tests that I performed were on movies around 5-5.5GB. When I tried a different movie like "Star Wars EP1" which is over 7GB, I was forced to use a much higher compression level (5). The rip/encoding time was very close to your 48 minutes.

I am going to try encoding a few movies from the HD and compare the encoding times from my Lite-on 16x DVD-ROM drive.

-- Netmonkey

Comment

• t0lik
              • Jun 2003

Just tried to encode movie White Oleander - total size 6.52GB:
              ripped with DVD Decrypter first on HD...
              used level 3 for main movie and stills for most of the extras.
              Took 10 min for encoding part and 4 min for vob fix.
              I'm running P4 3.06HT @ 3.4GHz, 1GB DDR400 Dual Chanel, 36GB WD Raptor SATA 10K rpm HD and 120 + 80 GB WD SE IDE drives. I encoded from SATA onto one of the IDE drives. Used DVD Shrink 2.2.

btw, does DVD Shrink supports HT technology? or it uses only one thread?

t0lik
              Last edited by t0lik; 12 Jun 2003, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• dvdshrink
                Super Moderator
                • Apr 2003

10 minutes for encode?
                Wow.
                Thats what I need for a development machine. I have P4 2.4GHz and it takes significantly longer

In answer to the question, DVD Shrink is single threaded, except for the video preview window in the main application, which contains another two threads (one for preload, one for decode).

No immediate plans to add more threads to the encode module, it crashes enough as it is

Comment

• t0lik
                  • Jun 2003

Now I know where all the money went when I do all the encoding That WD Raptor 10K SATA drive made also a big difference - my comp was fast as it was at 3.4GHz, and now it simply flies.

Comment

• t0lik
                    • Jun 2003

Now I know where all the money went when I do all the encoding That WD Raptor 10K SATA drive made also a big difference - my comp was fast as it was at 3.4GHz, and now it simply flies.

Comment

• ddlooping
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2003

Hi all

Traffic, PAL, R2, movie-only.

DVD2One v1.1.3 vs DVD Shrink v2.2 (30%, no cropping. Better quality, 25%, was achievable with end-credits cropped).

The difference between the two backups is not as pronounced during normal viewing but is still very much noticeable.
                      Happy Shrinking!! ~ddlooping~
                      For guides and downloads, please visit DVDShrink.info.
                      My "other" site: Teaching-Tools.

Comment

• dvdshrink
                        Super Moderator
                        • Apr 2003

Which is which?!!!

Comment

• ddlooping
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2003

Hey Mr. Shrink, you're not playing the game.

Ok, if you really want to know.

A2 and B1 are from........................

.......(drum roll).......

DVD Shrink!!!!!
                          Happy Shrinking!! ~ddlooping~
                          For guides and downloads, please visit DVDShrink.info.
                          My "other" site: Teaching-Tools.

Comment

• dvdshrink
                            Super Moderator
                            • Apr 2003

Thank god for that

Comment

Working...