Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gazix
    • Aug 2003

how to delete/edit menu's?

I'm using dvdshrink to condense a bunch of my dvd-9 to dvd-5 discs. I tried delting out extras, subtitles, extra languages, edit start and stop times. I was wondering what program (freeware if possible) I could use to actually delete out the non-needed menus (so dvd shrink can give me a better compression ratio). Also if I cut out the 2ch audio and just left in the dolby 5.1 would it still be able to work on a tv and dvdplayer? (with no dobly decoder)

Thanks
  • newdles
    • Aug 2003

what version of dvd shrink?

i use 2.3 now. anyway.. open dvd shrink.. click to open disk and select the appropriate drive. let it do its analyzing process and all. then when thats done... click on the plus sign by "extras" folder. then highlight all of the options there and click "still pictures" on the right hand side where you see level of compression options. this is the only way i know to do it. other than reauthoring of course.

this doenst REMOVE the menus.. just cuts the size down so much that theyre pretty much useless anway.

Comment

• gazix
      • Aug 2003

I tried the still picture option, but there still is about 150MB from orig 350MB of files just for the menus. All I really want is the main menu, chapter menu and possibly the audio setup menu.

I'm using verison 2.3. So can you delete out menu's in re-author mode? All I seem to get in that mode is the title/movie and thats about it...

Comment

• newdles
        • Aug 2003

yah, you can.

however, im not sure if by reauthoring the video, that you keep the dvd structure for menus and all.

it wouldnt let me just delete the stupid extras.. so i clicked still pic frames.

its only 150 mb. why not just go ahead and burn ?

anywya... by using reauthor, you can select JUST the main body of the movie too

sometimes that helps to burn just that alone on a dvd. you still have chapters and all... but not chapter selection or menus or extras. you have just the movie alone.

yet, this avoids having to compress the dvd any sometimes. sometimes... theres just no choice.

experiment with one dvd though. click on the extras folder. write down the sizes of the extras. that way you have a good idea as to what you want to put on the dvd. then just dont drag and drop the extras when doing the reathor. try burning the dvd and see waht happens. might learn a thing or two. even if you just waste a dvd.. youll know not to do that way again and who knows.. you may just learn a few other things.

experimentation is the best way to learn anything in my opinion

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To gazix

You'll fare better if you post this question in the DVD Shrink-specific sub-forum here...

Comment

• gazix
            • Aug 2003

I posted it in this, as opposed to the dvdshrink forum because I Didn't think that you could delete out menus with that program. Also v3 beta 3, the re-author mode doesn't seem to work (also you get better compression ratios..)

I've just download menuedit.com (free version) maybe I'll give that a try

Comment

• DonBerg
              • Aug 2003

Be aware some standalone DVD players have problems with the still picture option, like some Pioneer model players. Only use it on video streams you are certain never to access. Don't use it on streams that get played automatically or on menu videos.

Comment

• ddlooping
                Super Moderator
                • May 2003

Re: how to delete/edit menu's?

Hello gazix.

I'm a bit confused.

If I read the content and title of your 1st post properly, all you want is a movie-only backup.

"I tried deleting out extras, subtitles, extra languages, edit start and stop times."
                That sounds very much like a movie-only backup.

"...what program (freeware if possible) could I use to actually delete out the non-needed menus...?"
                If you delete all the features you mentionned above, you don't really need a menu.

"I didn't think that you could delete out menus with that program."
                The only mode in which DVD Shrink enables you to keep the menus is "Full-Disk".
                If you use the re-author mode, you will have no choice but to lose the menus.

Just use DVD Shrink v2.3 (until v3.0 Final is released) in re-author mode, and select only the movie title.
                Last edited by ddlooping; 13 Aug 2003, 09:02 AM.
                Happy Shrinking!! ~ddlooping~
                For guides and downloads, please visit DVDShrink.info.
                My "other" site: Teaching-Tools.

Comment

• eugchen
                  • Aug 2003

ddlooping--i'm starting to get the sense that you do not like menus!

Comment

• ddlooping
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2003

No eugchen, it's that I'm not getting the sense of gavix' post.

Comment

• gazix
                      • Aug 2003

I wanted just the main/scene selection menu. Turns out I finally read the manual of my brothers dvd player and found out how to skip to certain chapters via the remote (instead of just keep hitting search)

Now I just have to find low cost 1x media that my ps2 will read all the way through

Sorry for not being as clear as I could have been.

Comment

• ddlooping
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2003

"Sorry for not being as clear as I could have been."

No problem, gazix, it seems like everybody else understood what you meant.

Glad you found a way that works for you.

Comment

Working...