Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • julian.m
    • Oct 2003

Recover authored VOB

I am a newbie to DVD. Can anyone help me how to recover DVD film data that was copied simply to my hard disk.

I think that the problem seems to be that it is authored and the tools for ripping all need to run from the DVD medium not hard disk. No- I do not any longer have the source available for this film and, also yes- I now know that this was a dumb un-informed move..
    I can watch the film on PowerDVD, but no tools can load in these same VOB files??? On another disk at least I could read the files into a converter program to output normal mpeg2, but not this "disk".

Any ideas / tools suggested?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Can anyone help me how to recover DVD film data that was copied simply to my hard disk." "I can watch the film on PowerDVD"

Recover in what way? What do you wish to be able to do with the file(s)? Do you want to burn a DVD (Do you have a DVD burner?)? Do you want to convert to .AVI? VCD? SVCD?

Please list the names of ALL of the pertinent files...

Comment

• julian.m
      • Oct 2003

Sorry for the long delay. I had a holiday
      The files are called .VOB (example VTS_02_0.VOB) and my target is to convert them to .AVI or .SVCD. The files all seem to be self contained as they can be moved to other directories and still function with my PowerDVD play on their own. They will not however read into tools such as Video Deluxe and FlaskMPEG to convert. Video Deluxe even crashes when I try to open some .VOB files. I presume that this is an authoring problem as I just simply copied them to my hard disk rather than ripping?

Thanks for any help. Julian

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I presume that this is an authoring problem as I just simply copied them to my hard disk rather than ripping?"

If you copied them from a commercial DVD, they probably still contain copy protection.

The simple solution is to use a program such as DVD Decrypter to "rip" (remove copy protection) the ORIGINAL DVD to your hard drive (IMPORTANT - Use DVD Decrypter in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "ALL files", NOT "movie files")

Comment

• julian.m
          • Oct 2003

The problem is that I do not any longer have access to this DVD. I have tried ways around this problem but even DVD Decrypter can only read files from an external device and not from a hard disk file. I cannot even "copy the files back to DVD" to try again. This does not seem to work for me. Any other work arounds you know?
          Thanks. Julian

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"The problem is that I do not any longer have access to this DVD."

???

Comment

Working...