Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bertjr
    • Oct 2003

DVD Media Problems?

Regarding DVD-R media. If I am in the wrong forum please advise.

I have used media from different sources and manufacturers. I have used several programs to backup DVD-ROMs and create DVDs.

Some discs work okay but most don't. The faulty discs show freezing, pixelating, and stuttering. I do not have details about what plays where or what it was recorded with.

It seems that copied (backed up) discs present more problems than discs I create.

My research tells me that reflectivity is a major problem in determining the playing ability of DVDs. I also understand that the ability of a player may depend upon the setting of the "laser threshold."

Question: do different manufacurers use different dyes? If so, is this a consideration in my problem? Any suggestions?
  • DVDIdiot
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Oct 2002

Question: do different manufacurers use different dyes? If so, is this a consideration in my problem? Any suggestions?

yes, they are completely different.
    DO NOT USE PRINCO if you don't want to wast coasters!
    DVD Step-by-Step Guides
    http://dvdplanet.fateback.com

Comment

• spaceboy5367
      • Oct 2003

YEs! i just recently purchased a sony drx-510ul & some memorex blank dvd-r's. never buy memorex! 98% produced the same defects mentioned above. just purchased imation and...so far, so good. if anyone has advice on a good blank dvd-r media, please e-mail me!

thanks,

spaceboy5367

Comment

• spaceboy5367
        • Oct 2003

YEs! i just recently purchased a sony drx-510ul & some memorex blank dvd-r's. never buy memorex! 98% produced the same defects mentioned above. just purchased imation and...so far, so good. if anyone has advice on a good blank dvd-r media, please e-mail me!

thanks,

spaceboy5367@hotmail.com

Comment

• glen4cindy
          • Nov 2003

I have had wonderful luck with Verbatim DataLife DVD-R blanks from Sams.

The manufacturer ID is Ritek Go 3 which Lightening UK said is the important part of the DVD-R, who made the dye.

You can check quality of different brands by looking :

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Sep 2003

I wouldnt say DONT USE PRINCOS IF YOU WANT TO MAKE COASTERS..................
            I use these and dont have a problem with them at all. Might of had a bad batch im thinking DVDIDIOT!!!!

Comment

• docstevev
              • Nov 2003

I use Sumvision - they're grrrreat!!!

Seriously, not only have they never given me any problems, but they have a printable top surface, too.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

• spaceboy5367
                • Oct 2003

thanks for all the input guys. i've been using imation recently & they've been very reliable thus far. i use imation cd-r's, so i think i'm gonna stick with them.

take care,

spaceboy

Comment

Working...