Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spaceboy5367
    • Oct 2003

newbie here needs help with Img tool!

hi everyone...i hope this is the right forum for this question. i'm new to this dvd backup. i downloaded dvd decrypter & dvd shrink & this img tool [classic 0.90]. i seem to have gotten all the way up to this img tool with few problems. i'm stuck though on this window where it asks for the source directory, target file...and volume ID.

for the source directory, i chose the folder that had the shrinked dvd files in them.

for the target file, i chose the same folder that had the shrinked dvd files in them

and for the volume id....i guess this is where i'm stuck. i have no idea what to put in there & the guide i'm using from digital digest is using img tool 89. i keep getting the error message:

"can't find a "video_ts" directory. this directory must exist below the given source directory."

i simply don't know what this means.

please, someone help! i know this can't be that hard...it's probably something simple.

thanks much,

spaceboy

• setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

""can't find a "video_ts" directory. this directory must exist below the given source directory."
    i simply don't know what this means."

This simply means that if, for example, your source folder is named "Movie", you must have a folder inside it named "VIDEO_TS" (MUST be all capitals), with all of the DVD Shrink-created files (.IFOs, .BUPs, .VOBs) insode the "VIDEO_TS" folder...

"for the target file, i chose the same folder that had the shrinked dvd files in them"

You probably should be entering a name for the .ISO image file to be created by ImgTool (Such as "Test.iso")

"and for the volume id...."

You probably should be entering whatever identifying name you'd like the DVD to contain (Such as the name of the movie)

Comment

• spaceboy5367
      • Oct 2003

thanks setarip!

thanks for getting me back on track! i think i've got the hang of this now pretty cool stuff...i kinda feel like a hacker now!

ya know, the funny thing is last night i was making a backup of a movie and i think DVD Decrypter created an ez cd creator file...i didn't need the img tool?!

i remember reading someone elses post about this. will Decrypter automatically do this if the movie file isn't too BIG?

just curious & thanks again!

spaceboy

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Yes. If the DVD you are duplicating is a "DVD-5", meaning single-sided, single layer, less than 4.37Gigabytes, you can use DVD Decrypter in ".ISO" mode and both directly create and then burn an .ISO image file...

"thanks for getting me back on track!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• spaceboy5367
          • Oct 2003

dvd x copy

setarip,

just curious what you think of 321 studio's DVD X Copy? i bought it a few days before i discovered this site / DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink.

i've noticed you have a lot more options with Decrypter & Shrink but X Copy is a much simpler, 2-step process [rip & burn], whereas the other is a 4-step [rip, shrink, img tool, burn]

are there reasons that you would prefer one method over the other? also, i noticed for the first time tonight while backing up a dvd that X Copy seems to work the same way as Shrink when extracting files from the source DVD. the guide puts it something like "shrink will access your DVD-ROM drive during the entire shrinking process, which may reduce the lifetime of your DVD laser [or at least make your DVD-ROM drive pretty hot.] i noticed the light on my drive constantly on while ripping the movie. is that bad? does Decrypter do this?

sorry for all the questions. it's just that i don't know anyone else who know's about or does this sort of thing. i thank God for this site!

take care,

spaceboy

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"are there reasons that you would prefer one method over the other?"

1) Freeware (DVD Shrink) versus commercial software

2) DVD Shrink provides far more authoring capabilities than 321, DVD2ONe, Pinnacle InstantCopy, DVD95Copy, or any of the other commercial DVD duplication programs

"i thank God for this site!"

A bit extreme, don't you think?

Comment

• vic_vega
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • May 2003

I dont know Seta, (this site is pretty amazing, the people, the knowledge, the free software) This is one of the few sites I would actually pay for a subscription to if it ever got to that....

Although, I don't want to pay, if the site needed donations I would donate.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To vic_vega

If you're sincere about donations to the DigitalDigest sites (of which this forum is one):

digital, digest, dvd, divx, dvdr, dvd+r, dvd-r, rip, copy, ripping, convert, backup, back, up, shrink, xvid, software, download, news, guide, article

Comment

Working...