Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nanllyn
    • Apr 2004

Problem Backing up DVD's

I am using DVD Shrink 3.1.7.5, Nero 6.3.0.3 and a Plextor 708A. I backup many DVD's without problem and then it just started making coasters. It burns 1 or 2 correctly and then it will burn 1-2 bad ones. So it is not every burn. I have updated the Plextor to the latest drivers. I am using DVD+R and DVD-R's and both give bad burns half the time.
    When I burn using the DVD Shrink (using Nero) it gives me an error of "Plextor read error" at the very end of the burn. When I burn by opening up Nero itself then it gives me a read error at the 98-99%. I have updated the Plextor to the latest drivers. I think it may sound like the Plextor drive being the problem.
    Any ideas of what could be wrong? Has anyone had any problems with any of these programs or could it be a conflict with one or all of them? I am really getting frustrated at making so many coasters. Thanks for your help.
  • Billy_Black
    • Mar 2004

Well it almost sounds like bad media, or media that is a bad match for your burner. That's usually the case with errors at the end. Discs at the bottom of the spindle have also been know to cause problems.

You may want to check here for recommended media:

In Shrink you may want to try a test. Grab a long movie and 'Reauthor' it. Under compression go to 'custom resize' and move the slider to the left to make the target size smaller. Or go to 'Preferences' , switch to custom there and enter a number smaller than 4464 (you could try 4300).

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"When I burn using the DVD Shrink (using Nero) it gives me an error of "Plextor read error" at the very end of the burn. When I burn by opening up Nero itself then it gives me a read error at the 98-99%."

Are you sure they are "READ" errors and not "WRITE" errors?

If they are "WRITE" errors, then "Billy_Black" is most probably correct in suggesting the problem is due to poor quality burnable media.

If, in fact, they are "READ" errors, try running a DVD/CD cleaning disc on your burner. Maxell makes one that retails for approximately $10US...

Comment

• nanllyn
        • Apr 2004

Problem fixed but another question.

Well it said read error. I have switched to TDK DVD-R's and I have not had a bad burn yet out of 10 burns. So I would say it is the media. Unfortunately I have another unopened spindle of 50 and it has been way too long for me to return them. Too bad I didn't realize that it was the media earlier as I probably have wasted 20-25 dvd's. I think the media should be okay for backing up data. So far I have never had any problems with the CompUSA DVD's for data but then I haven't burned many of them. What do you think?
        Thanks for your help.
        P.S. I went to Best Buy and they had Memorex DVD-R 50 bundle for $50. So I bought some. Is this a decent media? It says from Tawian which I read thanks to the link in your reply that it was the worst. I went to CompUSA, Circuit City and Best Buy for media and every single brand was made in Tawian. I could not find any media in this area that wasn't made there.

Comment

• Billy_Black
          • Mar 2004

Fire up Nero CD/DCD Speed and check who really makes the media.

Or get:

Which will also tell you. There is a good chance that the CompUSA and the Memorex are made by CMC (among others). As was noted many brand names have different sources. Verbatim for one uses at least 4 makers for their various lines.

I suggest mail order so can pick better with more consistancy. Ritek makes discs for many, but I just always buy the plain RIDATA Riteks. As was also noted NewEgg stocks them.. the price jumped a tad recently though.

A little cheaper at Meritline and they offer all three tops.

I refuse to chase sales and rebates to save 10 to 20 cents. For me the Ritek's always work great, they are all I will ever use. If I have a problem I know it's not the media.

Comment

• nanllyn
            • Apr 2004

Thank you

Thank you so much for all your help. The Memorex seems to be doing just fine but my next purchase will be at NewEgg.com. That is a great price on the media and you stated it was really good. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with the problem.
            Cheers!

Comment

Working...