Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sLim901
    • Apr 2004

dvd copy protection?

was backing up a new movie that just came out...seems to have a copy protection redundancy file...apparently it makes dvd shrink read an error and stops the process...

anyone kno how to get around this?
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Try to "Rip" the DVD with DVD Decrypter (In File Mode) or SmartRipper to your HD first. Then open in DVD Shrink by clicking "Open Files" NOT "Open Disk".

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Further to ormonde's suggestion:

A CRC error indicates that there's a problem with the physical DVD (scratched, dirty, Peanut Butter and Jelly) that DVD Shrink cannot resolve. First, try cleaning the DVD. If DVD Shrink still generates this error:

Use DVD Decrypter to "rip" the DVD to your hard drive in "File" mode - and from the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "All files" (NOT "movie files").

Then use DVD Shrink to "Open files" (NOT "Open Disk") - and select "VIDEO_TS.IFO"

Comment

• Morphling
        • Feb 2004

Don't know exactly what error you are getting, but when I get an error msg I get it at the start of the ripping. The trick then is to start the movie with a dvd playing program and let it play for about 30 seconds. When it is playing, push the 'open' button and choose the dvd you want to backup. When I do this, the analysis starts. THen I close the dvd playing program and I can rip it.

Hope this helps

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To Morphling

"Don't know exactly what error you are getting"

The original poster's reference to, "seems to have a copy protection redundancy file", clearly indicates that it's a Cyclical Redundancy Check ("CRC") error - See the postings that both ormonde and I have already made here...

Comment

• sLim901
            • Apr 2004

thx alot guys...

i think you guys are right...i believe the dvd was physically scratched or dirty...even tho it was a new dvd...because even when i played it on my dvd player on my tv...there was a scene not too far into the movie...that started to freeze and skip for no apparent reason...i rewound...and it always did it in the same place...

thx again fellas

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"thx again fellas"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

• fritchdog
                • Apr 2004

Just had the same problem. New to the program myself but was warned that this program doesn't decyrpt copy-righted movies. Just realized how to do it. I simply, use "DVD Decyrption" and save to HD using 'file mode' w/in the program. It is a freeware program w/no spyware or money needed. It is absolutely awesome - simple to use and effective.

Once movie is on HD (non compressed - usually over 4.7G), go to file, open, and browse to your stored location on HD and open the VIDEO_TS folder and then vola, no copy protection. Analysis can begin and the Backup encoding works without a hitch.

My movie is 6.95G non-compressed using "DVD Decyrption". It is 147 minutes. It is currently encoding to my HD w/ "DVD Shrink" to burn onto one DVD+R. I am dying to see the quality of the compression. Will then try deep analysis to see difference.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Comment

Working...