Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nwg
    Left *****
    • Jun 2003

When the time comes to burn DL, use the latest version of Nero.

It has a couple of new features that works with the two layers and also the layer change.

Apparantly, it won't be as easy using a ISO from DVD Decrypter.

There are writers in the UK but, very few media. I have seen some verbatim DL discs. They cost £11 each !

Comment

• kuneo
      • Jan 2004

Awright you guys have taken over my original post,but thats cool

As for DL Burner's sfaik theres not much available here,and the media is mo $$$.

I would not compress with DL's as thats the purposeof going DL-more space means no need for compression....better quality picture.

K

Comment

• nwg
        Left *****
        • Jun 2003

I would not compress with DL's as thats the purposeof going DL-more space means no need for compression....better quality picture.
        And Shrink will still have a purpose. There will be plenty of people that will still want just the film. It then has the added bonus of no compression.

Comment

• The Maynard
          • Jan 2003

Why spend $30 extra for a DL burner when you can get an SL burner and flash the firmware with an update? Herrie has made a hacked firmware for the NEC 2500a that makes it burn DL discs, and it's FREE!

Originally posted by morphix
          im sorry 2 say but y dont u go out and get a DVD DL (DVD-9) burner they r great come on 8.5g @ 2x is good enough DVD-5 burners suck (but if u can only afford that then thats good enough) with the DVD DL burners u can back up any dvd media and hav so much comp bakup space (but i dont think heaps of countrsys hav the DVD Dl burners released) im in aus there out in here!

Comment

• nwg
            Left *****
            • Jun 2003

Why spend $30 extra for a DL burner when you can get an SL burner and flash the firmware with an update? Herrie has made a hacked firmware for the NEC 2500a that makes it burn DL discs, and it's FREE!
            The main reason is there is always the risk that flashing the drive can ruin the drive and make it useless.

Comment

• The Maynard
              • Jan 2003

Well, that is a good point but as long as you have the correct version for the drive and make sure that the power won't go off in the middle of the backup then you're not going to have a problem. And if you do then you can always flash it with the original firmware and try again.

Comment

• Floppy

To anyone wishing to update their firmware follow this link:

If it is safe to update your firmware or not, it's a silly question to ask even if a valid one...

I've updated mine twice and it was ok, that is a 100% perfection both times... I know of people that have a dead drive because of a bad flash, that doesnt mean to say that there was nothing wrong with that hardware to begin with!!!

And as to have a DVD burn in 14 minutes, it is a good thing on a 4x DVD -r for a total of 4.7GB info/data/video...

Guys, honestly, am I missing out on something here???
                Last edited by Guest; 18 Jul 2004, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

Great media at afordable prices, I get all my stuff from them, allways great quality...

www.cd-rmedia.co.uk
                  Last edited by Guest; 18 Jul 2004, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• Floppy

Read this too.

Comment

• Floppy

I use Zero defex extreme purple and have used them since I can remeber They are excellent, play on anything and they cost £ 0.49 pence each!!!!

www.cd-rmedia.co.uk

Hell their are Ritek made but their great and cheap DVD -r to buy.... Forget +R....

-R are more compatible with anything... DVD or not to DVD??

That's a tuff one...
                      Last edited by Guest; 18 Jul 2004, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• The Maynard
                        • Jan 2003

I have bought five of these drives and flashed each one of them with 107v2b5 dual layered firmware and not had one dead drive. Of course, it is always smart to back up your original firmware before you flash it so if you do have a dead drive you can go back to the original.

The last drive I got had a firmware version 1.70 which the Windows firmware updater wouldn't recognize so I had to flash it in DOS. It was a little bit of a pain to backup the firmware but I got it.

I used Nero to create a DOS boot disc and I put the firmware and flash utility on the CD. Nero then creates a virtual A drive when you restart and boot into DOS. The A prompt is not really your floppy drive but the CD drive. I didn't realize this for a few minutes so when I was trying to back the firmware up to the A drive it was giving me a write error. The actual floppy drive was relettered B. Once I realized this it backed up just fine. For some reason it wouldn't back up to the hard drives so I had to do it on the floppy.
                        Just thought I'd post that in case anyone else has any troubles.

Comment

Working...