About To Smash DVD Writer, HELP!! ADVICE!! ANYTHING!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phuk_the_law
    • Jul 2004

About To Smash DVD Writer, HELP!! ADVICE!! ANYTHING!!

Ok im new to DVD burning, fairly old skool when it comes to CD writing.

I just got an MSI 8x +/- DVD burner, and im using Nero 6, and Mirror 4x DVD+R disks.

The problem isnt in the burning, it works fine, its the playback.

I use DVDShrink to reauthor a dvd, then it cracks on and burns it with no problems at all, ejects it, and the film is fine, until about 3/4 of the way through it, it either stops completely or goes very pixelised and is unwatchable. I have tried it on a household player, an xbox and a laptop all with the same outcome.

Could anyone pleae point me where im going wrong? Is it the disks, my writer setup, the speed im writing? Any help would be very much appreciated.
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Mirror media is not the best. I'd invest in some Ritek.

Comment

• phuk_the_law
      • Jul 2004

ok ill have a look at some, but how much does the media affect the outcome of the final product? i remember in the days of cd burning the disk didnt really matter, is that really not the case now?

Comment

• Mig$y
        Retired
        • Jan 2004

ah, the good old days of cd's

DVD players and writers can be very finnicky as to which media they prefer.

What you will need to find is a good reliable media that is compatable with your burner and dvd player.
        To see reviews on media have a look at: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

and to see what media your MSI likes click here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters....&Search=Search

Re' the mirror media it may also help you to do a firmware update.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"how much does the media affect the outcome of the final product?"

You've experienced the typical indication of poor quality media - faulty and/or failing playback as you approach the outer edge of the media...

Comment

• phuk_the_law
            • Jul 2004

ok today i went out and bought two different types of media, some rather expensive memorex from staples and some very very cheap RW disks from currys. i talked to the dude in currsy and asked him about decent media, and he told me he uses the RW disks with dvdshrink, so i tried them.

havent tried the memorex however the RWs work great, even on an xbox (where DVD-Rs etc) shouldnt work!

another point on the firmware update - to me its impossible! my drive is situated in a IDE to USB caddy and connected to my laptop via a USB2.0 PCMCIA card - thus making it impossible for DOS to pick it up and flash the drive.

thanks for the advice everyone!!!

(watching a certain film involving a 'Bill' now!!)

pw

Comment

• Floppy

It seems that you are phuked...

Joke, memorex dvd's seem to have some sort of problems, follow this link to find out more:

I never tried to update a drive on a usb connection B4 but I never used dos either to do it... where the drive is connected to is irrelevant I think? If windows can read it it is enough... pretty much new territory, but I would try it anyway...

download firmware and then click on the .exe file(scan for viruses B4... Follow on screen prompts. if they seem sensible...

Let me know what happens...

Updates to your firmware can be found here:

Last edited by Guest; 20 Jul 2004, 08:57 AM.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"thanks for the advice everyone!!!"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

P.S. You might want to try Ritek media...

Comment

• Floppy

Good media @ www.cd-rmedia.co.uk

Zero defex extreme purple x4 (excellent) their Ritek made

Comment

• Sophocles
                    • Jul 2004

Media is where everything gets stored, if you store it in a leaky box the contents will get damaged.

Ritek is good media, Verbatim because they use Mitsubishi, and Riicoh (the Ritek/Ridata/ Ricoh) stuff selling on Newegg.com for $59.99 for 100, all god media.
                    "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)

Comment

• Floppy

Originally posted by Sophocles
                      Media is where everything gets stored, if you store it in a leaky box the contents will get damaged.

Ritek is good media, Verbatim because they use Mitsubishi, and Riicoh (the Ritek/Ridata/ Ricoh) stuff selling on Newegg.com for $59.99 for 100, all god media.
                      Where exactly on this website can anyone in the states find media for sale???

I followed th link and I cant find any at all.

Maybe I've gone blind for a bit...

www.newegg.com is just scrambled eggs?

Comment

• Billy_Black
                        • Mar 2004

You could try Meritline, they sell most media, they also have some compatability charts and you can buy Sample Packs with various media to try.

May as well grab this program so you know who actually makes the discs.

Comment

• phuk_the_law
                          • Jul 2004

ok, bit of an update. (seems this site is sponsored by ritek )

ive moved from one problem to another now, i am currently updating my firmware however. the official firmware from the MSI site actually does it through DOS so it is impossible.

i have found quite recently that writing is possible on my drive, however so far it has only worked with DVDRW disks, and thus only writes at 2.4x

i have tried writing with 3 different types of media, using the DVD+R setting and 4x disks at 4x, all with the same above effects. I am starting to be worried that only the RW function will work!!

another update wil come after the firmware upgrade, fingers crossed!

cheers all
                          pw

Comment

• phuk_the_law
                            • Jul 2004

well, another brick wall. even a hacked firmware from a separate site requires me to reboot to pure MSDOS mode, impossible to do when my write is connected via USB

ive emailed MSI with my serial number and kicked off, will see if they palm me off or do something constructive. ARGHHH!!!!

the most annoying thing is that i have a write and i cant get any use of it!!

thanks all
                            pw

Comment

• Billy_Black
                              • Mar 2004

Just hook up the burner temporarily to an IDE channel for the flashing.

Comment

Working...