X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gcampos
    • Jun 2004

Serial ATA HD's

Hey all,

Just a newbie question about setting up a burning system. I am going to upgrade my system to an Athlon 64 3000+ on a MSI Neo MB, 1gb ram. On hard drives I have bought two 250gb Maxtor HD's with an existing 160gb. On the SATA drives, the basic question is can the SATA drive be used by itself as a boot drive, or do I have to use two identical SATA drives to boot.

I apologize the dumb question but been away from systems for a couple years. So basically what I would like to have is this:

boot drive> 160gb INT SATA HD
    pri ide master> 250gb INT UATA HD
    slave> ?
    sec ide master>Burner 1
    sec ide slave>Burner 2

(USB 2.0 Enclosure) 250gb EXT UATA HD

I hope I didnt confuse anyone.

Thanks,

Gerry
  • micker
    • Jul 2004

In the bios on your MB you can select which drive you want to boot from. Just select SATA drive if you want to boot from that. You can boot from any drive basically.

Comment

• pickles_daddy
      • Aug 2004

Currently NO Microsoft O/S can install onto a SATA HDD without you installing the drivers. You need to press F6 during the first blue startup screens on Win2k, XP or 2003 (server).

BTW, you MUST have the drivers on a FDD so that the setup program can load them. You can create an OEM install script to auto-install these files - last time I used that was with NT 4.0!

Other than that, SATA boot drives are fine. Just make sure your BIOS is up to date, and you have the drivers on a floppy.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• reetzy
        • Sep 2003

correct me if im wrong but i just loaded XP onto a seagate 120g sata HD without having to install any drivers???? what do you mean by Quote: Currently NO Microsoft O/S can install onto a SATA HDD without you installing the drivers. ????
        P4 3.0g @ 3.6g
        1024MB TWINX-4000 (500MHz) CORSAIR XTREME MEMORY
        Radeon X800 Pro @ 560/530
        Sony DRU 700A

Comment

Working...