Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PopandFresh
    • Jul 2004

Cant burn A DVD with MYDVD

I got my computer about a year ago, and it came equipped with Sonic MYDVD. I have just started to use this DVD recording feature now. I am putting together a DVD that just has about 4 video clips on it. When I try to burn, I get an error message that says "There is no media inside the recording device. Please insert the media." Do I have the wrong type of blank dvd in my dvd player? I am using a DVD-RW and my dvd recorder is a SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T Model _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A. Does anyone know what the problem with this is?
  • digidragon
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2003

Your burner only accepts +R format, but you are trying to use -R format discs.

Comment

• PopandFresh
      • Jul 2004

Well, I got the right kind of DVDS now, but when it starts to burn, after the transcoding.. I get an error that says, "Wrong MPEG file", or something along those lines. I dont understand this either, because I only have some wmv, some mpg, and a mpeg file. I looked under "Help", and it says that you can use wmv, mpg, and mpeg files. Anyone know whats wrong?

Comment

• PopandFresh
        • Jul 2004

tried again

OK I tried burning the cd again, now with just wmv and mpg files. When it starts writing the discs, I still get the same error message that says "Could not complete the last command because: File is not valid MPEG (DVDErr, -20402). <--- I wrote the error down this time. Whats really bad about this is that it shows this a little bit through the writing process, making the disc incomplete, so it wont record anymore or play in a DVD player. PLEASE, does anyone know whats wrong?

Comment

• jgonick
          • Jul 2004

Just to make you feel better, I haven't had much luck with Sonic MyDVD either. Why not try another program to see if it is the movie files that are the problem or the burning software. There is a lot of good freeware out there. I came across CDBurnerXP Pro. http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

I haven't looked for any freeware authoring tools. So the above program might not be what you are looking for.

Its a great burner though...
          Last edited by jgonick; 5 Aug 2004, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• PopandFresh
            • Jul 2004

Thank you! I will burn this and see if its my movies or mydvd! thanks!

EDIT: I dont know what you mean by freeware authoring tools. Could you explain the authoring part?
            Last edited by PopandFresh; 5 Aug 2004, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• detox420
              • Nov 2001

afaik sonic mydvd re-encodes those video files to the dvd video format ( mpeg4 ) before the burning begins
              authoring would create the image that the recommended burning software would physically write to the disc

Comment

• PopandFresh
                • Jul 2004

IM still confused... will the program above be able to put my video files on it and burn them?

Comment

• jgonick
                  • Jul 2004

CDBurnerXp Pro will just burn the files to the DVD exactly how they are on the harddrive. It will not convert them.

Here is an idea. Sonic MyDVD will write to the hardrive. Under tools there is an option like "make DVD Folder" Instead of ruining DVDs, write it to the hard drive. You can experiement with your movies to see if one is corrupt. (It should tell you which ones its converting.-- bottom left I think)

If it is just one bad movie file, you can leave it off, or we can try to figure out why it doesn't like it.

About DVDs:
                  In the folder you will notice at least VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. (These two are what must be copied to the DVD. The VIDEO_TS will be filled with vob and ifo files etc... AUDIO_TS is usually empty.) That is the format DVDs need. I think (can't remember) Sonic MyDVD adds a few other folders for the menu and etc. Whatever is in the main folder is what you need to burn to the DVD.

Hope this helps a little.

Comment

• PopandFresh
                    • Jul 2004

OK, i think i found the one that is corrupt, so im taking it out and seeing if i can make a folder that doesnt have an error message. Question: If I make a folder that has no errors, what can I do with that folder? Can I transfer that stuff to a DVD and burn it really fast?

EDIT: I took the corrupted video out, and made a new folder and now it works! Now.. what do i do with the folder?
                    Last edited by PopandFresh; 6 Aug 2004, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• jgonick
                      • Jul 2004

You can either use Sonic MyDVD to burn it to a DVD or CDBurnerXp Pro.

When you created the DVD on you harddrive it put a file that ends with .dvd in a folder you specified. Start Sonic MyDVD, under "file" choose "open" and open that .dvd file. (that is your saved project file) Make sure it is set to burn to disc instead of make DVD folder. Then Burn it. This will take longer than using CDBurnerXP PRO because it would have to convert the files again, But you might have less trouble.

Technically you could use any burning program like Nero or CDBurnerXP Pro and burn everything under the main DVD folder you created on your computer. It Must have the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. (If Sonic MyDVD created extra folders (which I think it does) you must include them also.
                      To answer your question, YES this would be faster than the first method.
                      Things to watch for if you use the second method. Be sure you close the session. multi-sessions won't work.

To see what it should look like get a bought movie on DVD and go to "MY COMPUTER" "YOUR DVD DRIVE" right click and choose "explore" You will notice at least the two folders mentioned above.

Hope this helps.
                      Last edited by jgonick; 6 Aug 2004, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• PopandFresh
                        • Jul 2004

YESSSSSSSS

THANK YOU SOO MUCH! It worked!! now I can watch my movies on a dvd!! thanks for all of your help!!

Comment

Working...