X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zatoichi
    • Sep 2004

DVD Copy has read errors

Any suggestions?

Both my PC and Citizen DVD player can play my burned DVDs, but i get read errors when i try and make a copy of my burned DVDs.

In various combinations, I've tried the following:

Programs:
    CloneDVD + AnyDVD
    IcopyDVDs + DVD free
    DVD Decryptor
    DVDfab

DVD-Rs Types:
    Maxell 4x
    Smartbuy 4x
    Ritek 4x
    Fuji 4x
    Imation 4x

I get less, or no errors, when I don't compress DVD9 onto 1 DVD5. (sorry for the double negative - i.e. when i use 2 DVD5 discs per 1 DVD9 disk i get less, or no errors.

I'm using
    LiteOn 5232 combo, and LiteOn 812SW.

Any suggestions would be helpful..Thanks.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

That Fuji 4x is giving you problem sounds odd. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed for your burners. What version of DVDDecrypter are you using?

Comment

• zatoichi
      • Sep 2004

Hi Cynthia,

I'm using DVDDecrypter v.3.2.3.0.

I have downloaded the latest firmware for both my combo drive and burner, but was leaving that as a last resort. I am unsure if I can undo firmware updates...

Comment

• cynthia
        Super Moderatress
        • Jan 2004

Latest DVDDecrypter is 3.5.1.0 - suggest you update it.

Comment

• zatoichi
          • Sep 2004

ok, i'll give it a shot.

Comment

• lgha
            Digital Video Technician
            Digital Video Technician
            • Mar 2004

"..Both my PC and Citizen DVD player can play my burned DVDs, but i get read errors when i try and make a copy of my burned DVDs."

You could always re-rip the orginals. On top of what Cynthia stated if you put a "copy" in your PC burner and then go to "My computer" and double click the drive to open the disc you should see two folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS (both all caps and the audio folder will be empty). Just drag both folders to a folder on your harddrive. The movie(s) are already decrypted so your OS should just copy them over. The "copy on the fly" thing doesn't work most of the time for most posters. If you get an error report back with the error.

Comment

• zatoichi
              • Sep 2004

Thanks for the tip Igha, but i got a CRC error when trying to read one of the VOB files.

I can re-rip the originals, as you said, but it bugs me that i can't copy my copy...i should be able to!

Comment

• lgha
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Mar 2004

This is going to seem silly I'm sure but you might try cleaning one the disc that's giving you a CRC error. This error usually means a dirty or scratched disc. A CRC error from the PCs OS is strange.

Comment

• LaakaR
                  • Sep 2004

Hi,

interesting. I do have exactly the same kind of problem which I realized today. I use CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD and LG GSA-4040B multi burner and Memorex DVD+R 4X.

I realized the problem when I borrowed one of my DVD's to my friend and he said that DVD stops approx 1 hour of playback but almost in same place every time. When I investigated problem further I realized that I can play the same DVD home with Pioneer DVR-3100 stand alone DVD recorder/player as well as in computer with Cyberlink PowerDVD. When I tried to copy that DVD again it stop's for CRC errors. It doesn't matter if I try direct copy from explorer (*.vob files) or Alcohol, CloneDVD etc.

My friend has home one year old Philips stand alone player which is region free and can play many different formats including MP3 etc.

I continued investigating discs I have made lately and found same problem from several of them (I didn't want to go through all of them). I checked other DVD's which I have made before which are Verbatims +R 4x discs and there isn't any problems.

So far I came to conclusion that LG and Memorex are not compatible. I sold also some of my Memorex empty +R discs to my friend and he tried with his new GSA-4082B 8X multi writer to burn those discs. He was able to use burned discs with his Philips stand alone player without problems.

I will still check one of those copies he made that they really don't have any error's but I think they don't since he played them.

I would say strange.. : )

Comment

• zatoichi
                    • Sep 2004

Laaka,

i've started to do all my backups using two dvd5s for every one DVD9. When I scan these two DVD5s with DVD Decrypter it doesn't pick up any read errors.

(Strange - but i was able to create ISO files with clone DVD from DVDs that have read errors...although i guess that ISO file also contains erros...

Compression must cause my burner to create read errors - although i would like to think(hope) my DVDburner can handle it.

I'm still experimenting with different media, so I'll let you know.

Igha, thanks for the suggestion, but my DVD was pretty clean. I also encounter the problem with freshly burnt DVDs which are spotless.

Regards,

Comment

• cynthia
                      Super Moderatress
                      • Jan 2004

Think you should consider the firmware upgrade.

Comment

• zatoichi
                        • Sep 2004

Thanks Cynthia, i think that's my ultimate solution.

Just before that though, i'm going to reformat my harddrive, and install winxp sp1a. With all my experimenting with different programs, my computers a mess. (ps. I did try DVD Decrypter 3.5.1.0, but i got the same errors)

Comment

• cynthia
                          Super Moderatress
                          • Jan 2004

Don't forget to install an ASPI.

Comment

• LaakaR
                            • Sep 2004

Hi,

and I'm gonna purchase new burner today. Got enough for this playing but of course can't be sure if it will help. Wanna try anyway cause burners aren't so expensive anymore and I will get DL compatibility also and little more speed.

I have upgraded already at least twice my LG firmware. Haven't realized any difference but when using different media there is big difference at least in my case. So far the best has been Verbatim for me. Sentinels went 40% disposal and these Memorexes are causing error's.

I could of course to try other software but I like CloneDVD's gui cause it's very easy and on the other hand has enough choices.

I will let you know later my experiments with new burner.
                            Currently two choices NEC ND3500 and LG GSA-4120B.
                            Which one I should choose and why?

Comment

• LaakaR
                              • Sep 2004

Hi there,

first test completed since I bought NEC ND-3500AG FW 2.16. All the software is still same meaning AnyDVD 3.8.1.3 and CloneDVD2 2.4.3.5 and OS not patched since I wrote here last time.

Luckily I had still CloneDVD rip of Cold Mountain in HD and I was able to burn a new copy. I still have the copy I made with my old LG and I tried to read it with CloneDVD but got those CRC errors I mentioned earlier.

I burned new copy using exactly the same Memorex 4X +R discs than before and same earlier ripped content which I made with LG. Immediately after burn was ready I started to verify it and read the content with NEC/Clone back to HD. Gues what? No CRC error's!

I don't know how LG was able to generate those CRC error's and why it's not possible to copy a copy further on. The conclusion is anyway that some burner/media combinations just doesn't work together. But when you try to find cost effective solution it's annoying when running in problems like I had.

It would still be nice some day to get more technical and detailed explanation why those CRC's occurs but so far I'm pleased to know this much.

Rgds,
                              LaakaR

Comment

Working...