Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dvdsbarny
    • Dec 2004

copy of dvd copy plays on PC but not on DVD player

I used DVD shrink 3.2.0.15 to backup a DVD movie to disk (after deep analysis) - thats worked, leaving the copy the same as the original DVD region-1 (*).

Then, I used Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.3 (trial copy) to burn to DVD (UDF 1.2 format), following the instrs as posted on dvdshrink.info interactive guide.

The result was I could play the new DVD on my PC but on the DVD player (brand is Alba, bought in UK), it came up with an error msg - invalid format. NOTE that this player could play the original DVD (bought in US recently).

Repeated the steps above except for (*) leaving the 2nd copy as Region-2 output this time thinking my Alba DVD player could only play R-2 but my reasoning here is faulty since it plays US dvd's also. Again, the same error msg from my Alba DVD player.

My PC system is Win-2K + SP4 running inside AMD-1800, 512 RAM, 2x80 gB disks, 128 mB NVidia card, DVD recorder is recently release NEC ND-3500A .

Any help would be appreciated.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

Check up www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers for your Alba for media brand compatibility as well as standard.
    Could be worth running through your routine with a ReWriteable to check for anything else .. and save making coasters!
    I'd set Region to 0 and leave it thus. All players should play zero's
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• dvdsbarny
      • Dec 2004

Thanks for the reply - please clarify what you meant by Region-0 ?

There is an option in DVDShrink - backup which has a ticbox for Region free - with all other regions underneath greyed out. Is this what you meant?

Just to pick your experience a bit more if I may - checking my Alba for media brand compatibility - did you mean to imply that it may not like the "cheaper" unbranded names DVDs ?

Yes, I should have got some RWs first. Thanks again.

Comment

• charlypuss
        • Nov 2004

I think sfheath has gone home so he won't mind too much if I answer this for you.

Region free = Region 0

And yes some "cheap" and some "expensive media" have problems with some DVD players, or vice versa...

It might also be a good idea to check if your standalone plays the type of media ( DVD + or -) as well...
        If it ain't afloat .... It's sunk .... If it ain't broke.... leave it alone.... I was once indecisive....Now I'm not sure....

I'm old enough to know better...BUT...too young to give a toss...

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Then, I used Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.3 (trial copy) to burn to DVD (UDF 1.2 format)"

You should be using NERO in "DVD-Video" mode...

Comment

• dvdsbarny
            • Dec 2004

Hey guys - thanks for all your help, I found that out last night also after having read the wrong docs at dvdshrink.info before, it was my mistake - excellent interactive guides there though.

The DVD also works now on my standalone dvd player also so I can use the backup copy for personal use without fear of damaging my original which is difficult to buy now.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...