X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LOGAN2005
    • Mar 2005

Need Help with Burning Process

Hello everyone,

I am totally new and totally confused with the proper procedures on how to backup a DVD movie and have more coasters than I know what to do with.

I have a Sony DRU710A Dual Layer DVD Burner and have been using Phillips 4X DVD +R media.
    I have tried using DVD X Copy, DVD Shrink, Nero, and Roxio and nothing seems to work right.
    The programs states that the burn was successful yet when I insert the disk back into the computer DVD drive or even the same burner that I previously used, the computer does not recognize the disk. It seems to stall for a bit while it trys to read the disk and then tells me to insert a disc. It does not seem to recognize that there is a disc in the drive (not even with Windows Explorer).

Here is the process that I have been doing:

I have been inserting the DVD movie into my computer's DVD drive and allowing DVD Shrink to analyze it. This step is successful.

Next I take off all the languages and extras that I do not want and insert a still frame in its place. (I do not know if this is the correct method or not). I usually aim to get a Compression Ratio of at least 65%. (What would you reccommend as a minimum compression ratio?)
    Once this is done I press the backup button and have tried to burn it straight to a DVD disc and at other times to my hard drive. I followed the instructional manual provided by DVD Shrink but nothing seems to work.

I've gotten so frustrated that I have even gone in and physically picked all of the video files and combined them into one big file and burnt that as a data disc. That actually plays on my dvd player but there are no menus and therefore you can not go from one chapter to another. You basically have to fast forward through the entire movie which is a real pain. Yet this confuses me as well because the computer still does not recognize the disc even though my DVD Player does.

Another method that I have used is to Drag and Drop all files into the VIDEO_TS folder and also made sure that there is an empty AUDIO_TS folder. I then burnt these files onto a DVD and yet no luck. My computer can not read the DVD. Yet if I put the DVD into my DVD player it reads the files and shows the folders on the television but does not play the movie.

Can you please help me, I would be so grateful. If you could please give me step by step directions on how to copy a DVD. I am totally new to this so I do not really know what I am doing when I am using DVD Shrink or Decrypter or etc. All of the different settings and options really throws me off. I am looking for an idiot's proof guide on how to backup a DVD movie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have read that some people use DVD Shrink by itself, some use DVD Decryptor. I am not sure which to use first and why it is being used.

If there are any other details that I can provide that would make my situation a little more clearer to understand just let me know.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

This is a good place to start; http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=45238

Since your media in some shape or form is read by the player, it sounds like your problem is that of method rather than media but it might be worth checking out www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters for your burner/media compatibility.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"All of the different settings and options really throws me off. I am looking for an idiot's proof guide on how to backup a DVD movie."

In light of your statement, you might want to consider an alternative "one-step" commercial software product, such as DVD95Copy...

Comment

Working...