Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slashdot
    • Mar 2005

FUJIFILM DVD-R 8X

Seems to be the media that I use most often (due to price/quality). I don't know if it is the best media out there, but I do know that it is not the worst!

When backing up DVD's to the hard drive for burning, I have DVD Shrink set to 4350 MB. Would this be sufficient for this media, or should I set it lower to make sure that I don't run into any quality problems towards the end of the movie?

Also, suggestions on burn speed. I usually burn at 8X, but have experienced some issues with some of the first burns that I made (not being able to copy the copy). Would I be better off burning at 4X, even though I have not run into this error with the most recent burns I have made?
  • Experi-Mentor
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2004

don't assume all/any of the faults/problems can/will appear right away.
    as a rule of thumb, always burn at a lower speed, & the difference between 8x vs 4x is (aprox) less than 5min. is that worth taking a chance/gamble with possible coasters ?

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

IMO Fuji is a good media and you should have no problems with it. Burn one at the rated speed and check it for errors. You can d/l cdcheck (does dvd to) here http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/

Comment

• slashdot
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Experi-Mentor
        don't assume all/any of the faults/problems can/will appear right away.
        as a rule of thumb, always burn at a lower speed, & the difference between 8x vs 4x is (aprox) less than 5min. is that worth taking a chance/gamble with possible coasters ?
        Thanks for the info!

I have really only coastered one disc so far, which is not bad out of about 100 backups I have made. But...anything I can do to minimize problems with my copies I am going to do!

Comment

• slashdot
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tigerman8u
          IMO Fuji is a good media and you should have no problems with it. Burn one at the rated speed and check it for errors. You can d/l cdcheck (does dvd to) here http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/
          Awesome! TY for the info!

I'm sitting up at work right now... I want to go home and try it out!

Would you say that the Memorex media is worth the price difference?

At the Fry's I shop at, I pay $19.95 for 50 Fuji DVD-R's...and Memorex DVD-R's are $29.95 for 50.

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2004

## I have really only coastered one disc so far, which is not bad out of about 100 backups I have made ##
            only time & testing will give a true indication. see what happens 6 months down-the-track. a bad burn may only show itself after some time has passed.

## But...anything I can do to minimize problems with my copies I am going to do! ##
            as i stated before - burn slow & use good media (assuming the rest is setup & running correctly)
            when you start ripping/burning, simply walk away from your pc & let it do it's job uninterrupted

Comment

• slashdot
              • Mar 2005

## I have really only coastered one disc so far, which is not bad out of about 100 backups I have made ##
              only time & testing will give a true indication. see what happens 6 months down-the-track. a bad burn may only show itself after some time has passed.

## But...anything I can do to minimize problems with my copies I am going to do! ##
              as i stated before - burn slow & use good media (assuming the rest is setup & running correctly)
              when you start ripping/burning, simply walk away from your pc & let it do it's job uninterrupted
              I have run into some bad burns that I made...but they were some of the first burns. Is it possible that over time of playing the DVD that it could show problems?

TY for the info though. I have been trying my best not to use the computer with the burner in it while it is doing it's thing. Been closing most everything running in the background as well. I am def going to start burning slower though.

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2004

## Is it possible that over time of playing the DVD that it could show problems? ##

## a bad burn may only show itself after some time has passed. ##

Comment

• tigerman8u
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2003

"I have really only coastered one disc so far, which is not bad out of about 100 backups I have made"
                  I agree 1 out of 100 IMO is good.
                  "At the Fry's I shop at, I pay $19.95 for 50 Fuji DVD-R's...and Memorex DVD-R's are $29.95 for 50."
                  I would stay with Fuji.

Comment

• slashdot
                    • Mar 2005

## Is it possible that over time of playing the DVD that it could show problems? ##

## a bad burn may only show itself after some time has passed. ##
                    LOL! Yeah yeah...you had to make me actually read what you wrote didn't you?

Thanks again for the info!

Comment

• Experi-Mentor
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2004

our pleasure

## you had to make me actually read what you wrote didn't you? ##
                      yep! well, at least once anyway lol

Comment

• Tim Who?
                        • Nov 2004

If you're using Datawrite Grey, be aware that the Fuji discs are no longer being made. They switched manufacturer/dye to Prodisc, but the discs look exactly the same. Unfortunately they don't perform the same as Fujicode, in my experience.

Comment

Working...