Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chulew
    • Apr 2005

Replacing the drive in an external USB writer

I have an HP DVD200e USB/Firewire drive. The 200i (internal) is the sister drive. Can I replace the IDE drive in the external case with another IDE drive that will fit? Has anyone done this for this model or any other brand of external writer?

Recently I got a bug to try replacing the hard drive in my IOMEGA 40GB USB 2.0 drive and it was a no-brainer. Does the same go for USB writers? Is that case just a generic USB to IDE interface?

I use the USB interface (firewire wouldn't work for some reason initially and I haven't checked since the firmware update) but is there an advantage to using the firewire instead (its only a 2.4x writer).

On another note, I recently had problems burning to newer 1x-8x DVD+Rs and found that the problem was firmware. HP supplies the update but you have to have the original RecordNow software from the installation CD which I don't have. I complained to HP that they are essentially charging me to update the firmware so they sent me a link to download the software. No more problems. Here is the link:

Working...