Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chiro
    • Apr 2005

DVD freezing while playing

In a previous thread I stated I was having problems with DVDs ripped using DVDShrink current version. I was given some usefully solutions such as reducing the size of the disk from 4.7 to 4.2 and set it to custom. I was told to do this because the disk may be of inferior quality. I thank the person who responded. My question now is what brand of disk would be considered a good quality? I am still having problems with the picture freezing, especially at the end of the movie.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

Tayio Yuden brand media is supposedly the best. Then there is Ritek Ridata or Verbatim brand, that are also good.

Edit: A word from the wise: Buy in small bulk till you find some good media that your DVD player likes. Once you find it, then buy a 25 pack or 50 pack.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your DVD burner, as well as media compatibility, go to:

(If necessary, open the Device Manager in the Control Panel to determine the make and model number)

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• lfcrule1972
        Liverpool 'til I die......
        • Nov 2003

Follow the advice and links posted above, also not sure which country your from but here in England a number of the online retailers offer sample packs of DVDs. Might be worth looking for those where you live after narrowing down the options with setarip's links.....
        "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing......"

"I Love those moments - I like to wave at them as they pass by...."

ImgBurn Support Forum

Stop !! Before you post read this !

cynthia is Queen of the smilies !

Comment

• blindpenguin
          • May 2005

I had the same problem with frames freezing and went through a big ordeal findind the solution. I wont go into a lot of links and details be will tell you just this

Use only Maxell-r and TDK-r they have a 98% good burn rate.

I went from 3 out of 5 burns bad - to 1 out of 50 bad.

I burn over 100 dvd a month.

I use mainly maxell-r - I get them form office depot when they run sales(two 50 packs for 38$ and such)

If anyone wants my sources just ask.

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

Yes, Maxell are good disks penguin but others should not be blind. It is a process of research and you must match your media to your particular burner AND players. See links in my sig.

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• blindpenguin
              • May 2005

I had problems with freezing at the end of my movies also and I wasted my time with everything else.

If you use decrypt and shrinkwith nero- you should try maxell-r first before trying anything else if you have freezing problems

Comment

• blindpenguin
                • May 2005

matching media and burners is hogwash - doesnt matter which burner you have if the disc isalready F***ed up to begin with.

And most new dvd players will play any good disc

Comment

• lfcrule1972
                  Liverpool 'til I die......
                  • Nov 2003

Erm.... I don't want to be a pain but I agree with blutach, take my NEC2510 (well don't cos I love it ), when the Ritek G05's first came out I got 50 from a mate at discount. The burner loved em and never had any errors with them. Another friend of mine with a Liteon got the same discs and his burner hated em.....

The dye was the same just different burners - a few months down the track and a firmware revision or two later and his burner loves em as well, but initially it hated them on the latest firmware available, despite Liteon listing them as supported.

So whilst your completely correct in stating a knackered disc or cr@p dye will always be so, there is a lot of mileage in sourcing dye that your burner likes....
                  "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing......"

"I Love those moments - I like to wave at them as they pass by...."

ImgBurn Support Forum

Stop !! Before you post read this !

cynthia is Queen of the smilies !

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To blindpenguin

"If you use decrypt and shrinkwith nero- you should try maxell-r first"

While this suggestion may work perfectly well regarding the specific brand/model of DVD burner that you own, it certainly won't work with all burners - most particularly those burners that are capable of only burning DVD+R media.

Additionally, there are many standalone DVD players that will playback only commercial, pressed DVDs and DVD-Rs.

Further, not all Maxell DVD-Rs are equal. As has been noted in the DVD shrink sub-forum here, some Maxell DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs are manufactured by Mitsubushi Chemical Company which owns the Maxell brand, while others bearing the Maxell label are manufactured by a contract manufacturer.

Last but not least, not all DVD-R capable burners are initially capable of properly burning all of the different speed rated versions of Maxell (or other brands) of DVD-Rs. That's why the various burner manufacturers periodically put forth firmware updates...

By the way, I personally continue to use both Maxell DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs (as well as Ritek G03s) with great success ;>}
                    Last edited by setarip; 9 May 2005, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...