X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

Should Nero DVD Copy from -r to +r ?

I tried to do a on the fly copy of a homemade dvd from -r to +r but Nero OEM DVD Copy won't do it. It states in the log that -r media is needed. First time I tried this. I guess it doesn't just copy the data. Is it possible to copy a -r to a +r on the fly or do you hafta rip the files to the HDD and then burn to a +r?

Thanks

Edit - I guess I could use the original DVD and use it as the source and then burn to a +r but I was suprised DVD Copy would not do it.
    Last edited by jm1647; 12 May 2005, 04:59 AM.
  • Mig$y
    Retired
    • Jan 2004

Personally I would avoid burning on the fly.
    Do a simple ISO read/write with DVD Decrypter.

Comment

• jm1647
      • Apr 2005

Thanks Mig$y - was just trying to sve some time

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I tried to do a on the fly copy of a homemade dvd from -r to +r but Nero OEM DVD Copy won't do it."

You SHOULD be able to make such a copy, unless your homemade DVD-R is TOTALLY full, chances are your blank DVD+R doesn't have sufficient space to hold the data.

DVD-Rs can hold 6Mb more data than can DVD+Rs.

By the way, to test what I've just said, I just successfully copied my DVD-R of "Welcome to Mooseport" to DVD+R, using NERO "on-the-fly"...

Comment

• jm1647
          • Apr 2005

"DVD-Rs can hold 6Mb more data than can DVD+Rs."

@setarip that musta been it. I just tried a 3.23GB -r to a +r and it worked. I can't remember what dvd it was or I would check the size. I musta squeezed one more VHS-C tape on that bad boy but I didn't get a disk full message on my standalone.

6 more MB's.... I'm still learning something every day.

I hope that copy of "Welcome to Mooseport" don't go to waste.

Thanks

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I hope that copy of "Welcome to Mooseport" don't go to waste."

A sacrifice in the name of "Scientific Experimentation" ;>}

"Thanks"

My pleasure ;>}

Don't go digging in the Meadowlands!

Comment

• jm1647
              • Apr 2005

"Scientific Experimentation" reminds of what Frankenstein said about the monster but now I can say it about the Nero OEM DVD Copy for quick -r to +r copying.
              "It's Alive"

As long as I remember a "Lesson Learned", it'll do it as long as the -r total size isn't bigger than what a +r holds.

It woulda been nice if the Nero log stated - source dvd total size is too big or +r dvd capacity exceeded, anything but just "-r media needed"

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"It woulda been nice if the Nero log stated - source dvd total size is too big or +r dvd capacity exceeded, anything but just '-r media needed'"

After a while you get used to the deficiencies of technical documentation. As I used to say when I was in the M&A/investment banking/legal business during the first Silicon Valley boom, "Give me just one technical writer who understands the real world's needs and I'll give you a very successful company worth financing"...

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

"After a while you get used to the deficiencies of technical documentation. As I used to say when I was in the M&A/investment banking/legal business during the first Silicon Valley boom, "Give me just one technical writer who understands the real world's needs and I'll give you a very successful company worth financing"...

You got that right, believe me I know.....I hadda deal with Navy Technical Manuals for 30+ years....It's a wonder 99.9% of them companies ever got another contract

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"It's a wonder 99.9% of them companies ever got another contract"

As I'm sure you must know, success regarding US Government contracts is just a matter of "knowing how" to write the bids (or being either a minority or female controlled company)...

Comment

• jm1647
                      • Apr 2005

Oh yeah, my time was as a civilian in a Naval Shipyard, hadda deal with the end products of contracts a lot. Did ya ever see a 5/8" heat treated nut with no threads. They were like hexagon shaped rings....smooth as a baby's butt where the threads were SUPPOSED to be

Comment

Working...