Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob67
    • Jun 2005

Contrast & Brightness for Video

I have some video in AVI that I am converting to DVD. I have Nero Ultra 6.6 with Nerovision Express 3. I would like to increase the brightness and/or contrast of my video before the conversion...will Nero do this? If not, is there a decent freeware program out there that will do this easily?

Regards,

Rob
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have some video in AVI...I would like to increase the brightness and/or contrast"

You can accomplish this in VirtualDub (or any of its variants), using the built-in "Brightness/Contrast" filter

Be wary of highly opinionated and often unsubstantiated statements made in response to your questions at these forums...

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

why would you want to reencode the avi with virtualdub again when much better solutions via avisynth are possible?

Comment

• Rob67
        • Jun 2005

How do you use that?

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

Avisynth is an excellent and powerfull tool, however it takes some learning which IMO is worth it. Virtualdub also is an excellent tool IMO and easier to use. Each has it's purpose. For me if Virtualdub will do what I want I use it, if not then I try avisynth. Note I said TRY because to me avisynth is a challenge, yet a rewarding challenge.

Comment

• Rob67
            • Jun 2005

I am a novice when it comes to dealing with AVI and video editing. I do realize that AVI is just a video and sound file packaged together...The file I am working with is encoded as Xvid mpeg 4 and the audio is WAV, I think. THe problem with virtualdub is that whenever I resave my AVI file with the brightness filter, the audio is way off. Plus, the file is about 500 mb but when I change the settings and resave it, it becomes like 50 gb...I have no idea why. I imagine there is some setting I am chosing that is causing this. AVIsynth is a little confusing for a novice and I did not find any of the FAQ's of manuals helpful on their website...

are there any sound and video synch programs out there for someone who doesn't want to spend hours studying this stuff?

Regards,

Rob

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"the audio is WAV"

I really doubt that. It is more likely to be either .AC3 or (Variable Bitrate) .MP3. To find out:

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

If you have more questions, always feel free to ask them...

June 05, 2005 Saying for the day: "Don't stop thinkin' about tomorrow"...

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

"the file is about 500 mb but when I change the settings and resave it, it becomes like 50 gb...I have no idea why"

More than likely you are saving the file in uncompressed format. When applying filters in Vdub you have to use "full processing mode". This results in very large files. Don't forget to re-encode via xvid or divx after appling the filter. This can be done at the same time you add the filter/s.

Comment

Working...