X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlienX69
    Interstellar Traveler
    • Feb 2005

NEC 3520A Painfully Slow !

Just got the NEC 3520A, ripping is very slow 3-4x, is this normal ? I was expecting a lot better ...... any suggestions ?

I've tried a few different firmwares from:

Currently testing the Quite version of LD3520_1UG.zip

Yes my Primary and Secondary IDE Channels are set to DMA if available.

As another note, I'm running SATA hard drives in a non-RAID array. Have no IDE HD's. The two burners are chained on the same IDE round cable.

PS: My old Plextor PX-708A ripps faster, almost twice as fast, results below using same disc

NEC 3520A:
    =========
    I 19:52:31 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:31:12
    I 19:52:31 Average Read Rate: 4,404 KB/s (3.2x) - Maximum Read Rate: 6,734 KB/s (4.9x)

PX-708A:
    ========
    I 19:17:34 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:17:48
    I 19:17:34 Average Read Rate: 7,720 KB/s (5.6x) - Maximum Read Rate: 11,235 KB/s (8.1x)

Last but not least is the good (I hope), I got ULeads DVD MovieFactory 3.5 Suite with the drive (haven't used yet, except I tried the ULead DVD Player, pretty KEWL !, had PowerDVD). That was one of the reasons I got the drive, as I was waiting to buy this drive. When I saw it on newegg, in a retail pkg w/SW for $48, I jumped on it. Please post any comments regarding this SW, if you have used it.
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

AMD or Intel system?

Latest chipset drivers installed?

Comment

• Norm
      • Dec 2004

Look for the Firmware with the rip lock removal. It is the modified 3.04. READ THE README File!!!!!!! it explains why. It seems to me that NEC is purposely trying to discourage ripping DVDs. After I updated my NEC with this firmware, slow ripping problem was gone just make sure you READ THE README

"Women"

can't live with 'em........Pass the Beernuts

Comment

• AlienX69
        Interstellar Traveler
        • Feb 2005

Well I went the same exact firmware that jmet is using (the Noisy version of _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW 1.UG), here are the results for a rip:
        I 15:31:15 Average Read Rate: 6,953 KB/s (5.0x) - Maximum Read Rate: 10,159 KB/s (7.3x)

Could someone clarify the difference between Noisy vs Quite versions of 1UG ? I read the LD3520 1.UG.rtf in the .zip .... my understanding is Quite is the same as "Noisy", but Quite will play the "Original" at slower/normal speed ? Does that mean that Quite and Noisy will both rip and burn the same ?

The burns are kick butt, the following is using TYG01's (4x):
        I 05:41:16 Average Write Rate: 12,677 KB/s (9.2x) - Maximum Write Rate: 17,214 KB/s (12.4x)

I will trying ripping some more with the NEC and Noisy 1UG see if the rip rates get any higher......

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

The ripping speeds of dual layer DVD's are not great but, on single layer DVD's they are out of this world.

Your read rates are very similar to mine.

Comment

Working...