Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muteme
    • Jun 2004

DVD drives and read speeds

I've noticed that my computer's DVD drive (NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG) is spinning up much faster when I play backups on DVD-Rs than ordinary, original DVDs. With an original DVD, I can barely hear the drive spinning up, but a DVD-R backup sounds like it's being read as fast as a CD.

I'm not even sure if it's a new thing or not, it just stood out to me today (my tower's in the next room). If a DVD-R has been burned with the structure of a DVD (in DVD Shrink) shouldn't it be read at the same speed as an original? And if it's being read so much faster, isn't that going to cause more jumps and jitters during playback?

I'm sure it isn't the media, as I've been using the same discs for a while now and they always check out okay in DVDInfoPro's CRC tester. Is there any way to force the drive to read these DVD backups at a slower, steadier speed?
  • sonic_emperor
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2003

well i couldnt hear anything when inserting dvd-r into my nec,but when using dvdd it reads dvd-r faster as there is no protection....i think...
    cro-anthem-video

Comment

• muteme
      • Jun 2004

Also, in My Computer, I've noticed the drive's labelled as 'CD Drive'

Might I have accidentally done something that's making it be recognised incorrectly? Would that explain the DVD-Rs being read too fast?

Comment

• muteme
        • Jun 2004

Originally Posted by sonic_emperor
        well i couldnt hear anything when inserting dvd-r into my nec,but when using dvdd it reads dvd-r faster as there is no protection....i think...
        My DVD-Rs seem to spin up quickly as soon as they're put into the drive (slowing down and stopping again as normal when not in use) I can understand a DVD backup not having the burden of copy protection and the like to slow it down, but if an original DVD film can run smoothly at an almost-silent speed, why would the backup disc of a film need to spin any faster? I mean, if it's got all of 2 hours to stream the content for me to watch it
        Last edited by muteme; 14 Feb 2006, 04:26 AM.

Comment

• sonic_emperor
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2003

well,thats sth your gonna have to wait experts here to answer...
          cro-anthem-video

Comment

Working...