Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chachi
    • Feb 2006

Occasional DVD Playback Issues

I have been burning successfully for quite some time, and as of the past week or so, I have had playback problems with 3 out of 5 burned DVD's. I am able to rip, shrink, and burn successfully with no errors, however, when playing back the DVD's, the DVD player attempts to read the disk but cannot do it (the DVD player tries real hard to read it, making these crackle noises). Here are the particulars:

DVD's that have not worked lately: Garden State, Kicking and Screaming, Wedding Singer
    DVD Burner: Philips DVD8701
    Current Firmware Loaded: 5D24
    Media Used: Philips DVD-R and Taiyo Yuden 4x
    DVD Player: Philips

I've tried different combinations (i.e. just using dvd shrink 3.2, burning with dvd decrypter and imgburn, ripping with dvd decrypter then shrinking and burning), but nothing seems to work. I'm skeptical of updating the firmware (if an update is even available - not sure), last time I did, my system crashed.

Any tips on what might be going on?
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to the forum. Let's start at the beginning, please post initial Dvd Decrypter log not burning log?

Comment

• geno888
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Dec 2005

Have you observed if there is a specific support that give you problems? I mean are your problematic discs only philips or do you have problems also with taiyo discs?

Comment

• chachi
        • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by geno888
        Have you observed if there is a specific support that give you problems? I mean are your problematic discs only philips or do you have problems also with taiyo discs?
        I've tried both kind of discs, thinking that it might be a media issue, but no luck on either media, multiple tries on both.

Comment

• chachi
          • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by soup
          Welcome to the forum. Let's start at the beginning, please post initial Dvd Decrypter log not burning log?
          You'd like the log from the rip itself?

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

Yes please. Anyone of your problem ones.

Comment

• NightTran
              King of Digital Video
              King of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

what program you use to burn to your disc, post a log from that burn?..The last five burn was from what program?

Thanks
              sigpic

Comment

• geno888
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Dec 2005

It still seems to me a media issue. How old is your burner? If with time burning quality is reducing, maybe your burner is near to leave

Comment

• chachi
                  • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by geno888
                  It still seems to me a media issue. How old is your burner? If with time burning quality is reducing, maybe your burner is near to leave
                  The burner was actually replaced not more than 4 months ago...and it doesn't get that much use.

I'll get the logs asap.

Comment

• geno888
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by chachi
                    The burner was actually replaced not more than 4 months ago...and it doesn't get that much use.

I'll get the logs asap.
                    Too bad this is not relevant . I had a burner that after 6 months and an occasional usage become damaged, and I was forced to RMA it.

If you have time, can post also a scan of a problematic disc?

Comment

• chachi
                      • Feb 2006

Not that I'm complaining, but as I was generating the logs (as requested) last night, I burned a DVD, which actually played successfully. I then went through all 3 of the problematic DVD's that I mentioned, and all of them burned/played successfully, so at this point, I don't have issues - kinda dumb luck I guess.

For the successful burns, I stuck with the Philips media, and I dcreased the burn rate from 6x to 4x, those were the only changes. I wouldn't suspect that the burn rate would have that big of an impact, but that is the only thing that I truly did differently in getting DVD's that actually would play, as I had already tried the Philips media before...

Thanks to everyone for the responses, I may hit this thread again if the issue comes up again, and I will have logs with me

Comment

• soup
                        Just Trying To Help
                        • Nov 2005

Just glad it worked out, no matter how it did it. Jmet's got a pretty good rule of thumb. basically burn at half of what it says it can.

Comment

• chachi
                          • Feb 2006

Well, I started getting the same problem I detailed in my first post to start this thread, this time with Under The Tuscan Sun. I've tried multiple media types, with no luck. I am attaching a burn log from ImgBurn.

I ripped using DVD Decrypter in File Mode, I then opened the files up with DVD Shrink, and then burned with ImgBurn at 2.x (my disks are a minimum of 4x).

If more logs need to be generated, I'd be happy to do so...I'd like to try to get to the bottom of the unpredictable nature of what is happening. Thanks for the assistance.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Chewy
                            Super Moderator
                            • Nov 2003

Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 8x)
                            and bad media

is that a dell computer?
                            good burner when it's crossflashed to a benq 1640.

Comment

• chachi
                              • Feb 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                              and bad media

is that a dell computer?
                              good burner when it's crossflashed to a benq 1640.
                              It is a Dell. I get the same result when using Taiyo Yuden 4x media too, which is supposedly the best media out there.

Not positive on what cross flash is, fill me in with the details if you think that is the way to go...

Comment

Working...